Search This Blog

Monday, August 06, 2012

Pride and Prejudice Comparisons: Part 2

Kitty, Lydia and Mary Bennet



1995

Miss Woodhouse:  Lydia – too old, Kitty – quite true to the book, Mary - Blahhh
Miss Laurie:  Polly Maberly as Kitty is lively and follows Lydia’s lead but is also a bit sullen and selfish like in the book. Julia Sawalha as Lydia is bright, lively, silly and delightful good fun to watch! She dances across the screen capturing the very essence of Lydia in the book. Lucy Briers as Mary is dull and dry as bones with a singing voice that hurts the ears.
Amy:  Polly Maberly, Julia Sawalha and Lucy Briers all seem to be very close to the book’s description of the three silliest girls in England.  However, they’re all rather too old for their parts and this can be annoying at first, but I soon forgot about their apparent age and just enjoyed their performances.
Lizzie:  They are great. Lydia and Kitty are fun and Mary is very studious, as they should be. I think Lydia is played well, especially in the scenes after the marriage, as she seems totally oblivious to what she has done wrong, just as it is in the novel. Kitty is very much copying Lydia which it is meant to be, and I think she was also played well. Her reaction to Lydia’s elopement and thinking it not in fact that bad is how I think she is meant to think, as it is how Lydia thinks. Mary is just as she is like in the book, very studious and out from the other sisters. She really doesn’t seem to mix with her sisters much at all in this version, but I love her little speeches when trying to express her opinion on something.  

2005


Miss Woodhouse:  Lydia and Kitty – I class them together because they were pretty much the same, Mary – You could get to know this Mary
Miss Laurie:  Carey Mulligan makes an adorable Kitty and plays very well off of Lydia’s giddiness. With dimples and a great deal of sweet silliness is easier to see her making a good end like the book says. Jena Malone being an American didn’t bug me as much as I thought, she kept up the accent quite well and her youthful appearance made you feel more keenly how awful her story and careless attitude to life really is. Talulah Riley was too pretty to be Mary and she was not bookish enough, though she did practiced the piano constantly. What bugged me the most about her was the Netherfield Ball scene where you see her crying because she was embarrassed her playing didn’t go well, she also didn’t wear spectacles.  
Amy:  Carey Mulligan, Jena Malone and whatever-her-name-is who plays Mary definitely seem like real sisters-- especially Kitty and Lydia.  They’re all closer to their supposed ages, too, which is a plus, but the plain fact is that these girls just didn’t get enough screen time for their characters to be developed.
Lizzie:  To me, all the sisters in this version seem more sisterly. I love Lydia and Kitty – they are so fun and seem so happy and care free! I think this Mary was great, she seemed different to her other sisters, but not as a choice. She played Mary really awkwardly in the ball scenes, which I think is more how Mary is. It is sweet that she is upset after being asked to stop playing the piano. I also love Kitty’s reaction to Lydia being asked to Brighton and not her, and how Lydia crows over her sister; shows how immature she is!

Preference


Miss Woodhouse:  I liked Lydia and Kitty better in the 2005 adaption, but Mary was more true to the book in the 1995 one so I suppose I like her better.
Miss Laurie:  Although the Kitty and Lydia from 2005 weren’t bad I prefer the 1995 versions of all three of these characters because they fit much better to the descriptions of the younger Bennet girls in the book.
Amy:  The actresses in 1995, on the whole.
Lizzie:  Overall I much prefer the sisters in the 2005 version. Mary is not so annoying, and is more shy and lacking confidence. Lydia and Kitty are really fun and show their immaturity well, as they basically to young girls obsessed with some dashing soldiers! I love the relationship between Kitty and Lydia – it seems a lot closer in the 2005 one, and seems to change a lot, as it would, after Lydia goes to Brighton. The relationship between all the sisters is just stronger in the 2005 version which I like, and Mary isn’t so totally different to her sisters as it appears in the 1995 version. I also like that the idea of Mary liking Collins is more emphasised in this version. My two favourite Bennet sister scenes are one, the beginning with them listening at the door to their mother when discussing Bingley and then all running into the sitting room to question their father, then the other is when they are returning from the Netherfield Ball, with Lydia and Kitty asleep on Jane. 

Mr Collins


1995

Miss Woodhouse:  Very oily and pompous 
Miss Laurie:  David Bamber captures the pompous Mr. Collins of the book with his simpering vows of love to Elizabeth and his rambles about his patroness Lady Catherine. He does add a slimy feel to the character which sometimes just makes my skin crawl but most of his lines come straight from the book and he’s rather hilarious.
Amy:  David Bamber might ooze a little more slime than the book called for, but who cares?  He’s hilarious, odious, annoying, groveling and and complete suck-up.  He’s perfect.
Lizzie:  He is played well in this one. He is comical at times, but also spiteful and really gets under your skin at other times! My favourite scene of his would have to be when he comes to visit them Bennet’s after Lydia elopement, and is gloating over the fact that Lizzy didn’t marry him! He is so dislikable at that moment! He is also funny during the Netherfield Ball when he dances in the wrong direction to Lizzy’s despair, and Darcy’s amusement! I also love his way of treating Lady Catherine, and of being treated by Lady Catherine! 

2005


Miss Woodhouse:  A more likeable Mr Collins – he was very short (untrue to the book), but overall, quite likeable (oh those boiled potatoes!)
Miss Laurie:  Tom Hollander makes the character rather dry and serious and sometimes you start to feel sorry for him. But even though he’s too short he does have some hilarious awkward moments that are great.
Amy:  Tom Hollander is a more quiet, boring Mr. Collins-- perhaps you could say he’s closer to the book, but I don’t know about that.  Mr. Collins in the book is supposed to be pretty tall, and when Tom Hollander comes on the screen, I find myself wondering where the rest of him got to.
Lizzie:  : He is such a silly and comical character in this one! He is sometimes mean, but doesn’t really realise why what he is saying is mean! I love the proposal from him! He seems so confused afterwards, and you feel a little sorry for him and also want to laugh at his stupidity! He is also funny around Lady Catherine, as he seems so awed by her! And I love the power Charlotte has over him in this one, even though he doesn’t really realise it! Mr Collins in this version is a lot more innocently annoying.  

Preference


Miss Woodhouse:  Though neither of them got the part right, David Bamber from P&P 1995 was better.
Miss Laurie:   Although the 2005 Mr. Collins is funny I prefer the 1995 Mr. Collins because he is almost identical to the character in the book.
Amy:  Is this a rhetorical question?  David Bamber, indubitably.
Lizzie:  I think I prefer the 1995 Collins, although it is a close call. I think he needs that side of him which realises that what he is saying sometimes is... impolite. This side of him makes him more dislikable, which I like! Also, I find you pity the other Collins too much for my liking! And of course I love his relationship with Lady Catherine, and the dance scene at Netherfield is so very funny!

Charlotte Lucas



1995

Miss Woodhouse:  This Charlotte was almost too young and pretty to play the homely 27 year old spinster.  Part of the fault of her performance was David Bamber as Mr Collins – even for a comfortable home, why would you marry such a slimeball?
Miss Laurie:  Lucy Scott portrays a fairly quiet but sensible Charlotte Lucas who is a good friend to Elizabeth and Jane. You do wonder at her marrying Collins but can’t really feel sorry for her because it’s clear that it’s her free choice.
Amy:  Lucy Scott’s quiet grace and contentedness with her rather dreadful fate are nothing short of endearing.  I especially like the way she subtly lets Lizzy know at Hunsford that she stays away from her husband as much as possible... and they both like it that way.  
Lizzie:  I like Charlotte in this version. She is very quiet as she should be. She also seems very indifferent to the fact that she has married... well Mr Collins, which again she is described as being, and yet at other times, she shows herself to be a little sad at what she has had to settle for, like when she is asking Lizzy to come and visit her in March. 

2005


Miss Woodhouse:  I liked this Charlotte.  She might have been a bit old, but she was plain enough and since Mr Collins wasn’t too bad in this adaption, you could understand why she would marry him.  Did you know that the ‘swing scene’ script was written by Emma Thompson?
Miss Laurie:  Claudie Blakeley portrays Charlotte as overly nice, a bit silly and such a desperate old maid that she has no choice but to marry Collins. Although I’ve enjoyed Claudie Blakeley in several other period drama I don’t think she fits the character very well.
Amy:  Claudie Blakely is an extremely talented actress, and I really liked the dimension she brought to Charlotte’s character.  For the first time, I really understood why she married Mr. Collins-- it was more from a sense of duty to her parents than from any desire on her part to spend the rest of her life with a man who’s about as interesting as rice pudding without the pudding.
Lizzie:  She too is played very well I think in this version. I find that in this version she shows more emotions. For example, when she informs Lizzy of her engagement, you can feel her pain in having to tell her best friend this news, and then see her anger as she knows Lizzy will judge her. Then later when Lizzy visits her, you can see how happy she really is to run her own home, even if she must share it with such a man!

Preference


Miss Woodhouse:  I definitely choose Charlotte from the 2005 adaption
Miss Laurie:  Even though Lucy Scott isn’t quite my favorite Charlotte she’s sensible and far more like the book than the 2005 film.
Amy:   I... can’t... decide.... I really, really like Lucy Scott and I’m inclined to say she’s my favorite, but Claudie Blakely was so good! Ack! I can’t decide!
Lizzie:  Overall I prefer the 2005 Charlotte. I think her relationship with Lizzy is better as they seem closer at the beginning, and then you can see how her choice of husband will affect their friendship. Also, I like the looks you get from Charlotte in the 2005 version hinting to her about a possible attachment on Darcy’s side. Overall, I prefer this charlotte, with her relationship’s, with Lizzy and with her husband! 

Caroline Bingley



1995

Miss Woodhouse:  Caroline Bingley in this adaption was, shall I say...vulgar?  Miss Bingley is supposed to be refined (though not above sneering at Lizzy) but this Caroline with her hardly suppressed laughter was not very effective.
Miss Laurie:  Anna Chancellor portrays a strong, tall, imposing Caroline who thinks she’s perfect and funny to boot. She looks down her long nose and has almost all the lines from the book. Her sister and brother-in-law, Mrs. & Mr. Hurst, are also included from the book and add more interest to the story.
Amy:  [Amy was unfortunately not able to write up her opinion of Caroline - long story] 
Lizzie:  She is such an insufferable woman! And this is very clear in this version! Her sneaky looks to Mrs Hurst, and indirect insults to Lizzy, and direct compliments to Darcy! I think that is one of the aspects of her characters which is highlighted in the series, her clear wish of a connection between herself and Darcy! I also love Darcy’s reaction to her! She is easily dislikable and very frustrating in this version, and Lizzy’s quick wit in standing up to her make Caroline an important, annoying, and funny character to have in the story!

2005


Miss Woodhouse:  A much better Caroline (though they took out Louisa).  She was elegant but quite capable of making snide remarks to Lizzy about her family’s want of propriety. 
Miss Laurie:  Kelly Reilly is very pretty, haughty and spoiled looking but her scenes are few and the fashions she wears are highly immodest and out of character for the time period. Also Mrs. & Mr. Hurst are excluded from the film.
Amy:  [Amy was unfortunately not able to write up her opinion of Caroline - long story]
Lizzie:  She seems, in this version, very proud and above her company. She is more spiteful in this version, I find, and I dislike her for this. She is very subtle in her insults to Lizzy and her family, or in her wish regarding Darcy. It is a shame we don’t see her very often, as I would have liked to see her reaction to Darcy’s growing affection for Lizzy! She performs it very well, and is very dislikable. Her connection and treatment of her brother, Bingley, seems like it was described in the book in this film, and I love the ginger hair ;) She was a very good Caroline, and very malicious and horrible, as she should be! 

Preference


Miss Woodhouse:  I prefer the 2005 Caroline.
Miss Laurie:  Anna Chancellor of the 1995 version is in every way closer to the book and the fact that Jane Austen is her eight-times great aunt is a really fun connection!
Amy:  [Amy was unfortunately not able to write up her opinion of Caroline - long story]
Lizzie:  I think it would be the Caroline in the 1995 version I prefer, maybe as we see more of her, but also I think her relationship with Darcy is great, well, really funny! Also, she is really dislikable and insufferable, but not so openly spiteful and mean, like in the film! I also like her relationship with Mrs Hurst, and the looks they give each other, and Lizzy’s reaction to that. I find Caroline very much as described in the novel!

Georgiana Darcy



1995

Miss Woodhouse:  A wonderful Georgiana!  She was shy and looked up to her brother very much and was very sweet.
Miss Laurie:  Emilia Fox makes a pretty, sweet and rather shy Georgiana who is just like the book. I really love her scenes because they show Mr. Darcy’s tender side.
Amy:  Emilia Fox is so sweet and shy as Georgiana-- you can understand right away how easily she was tricked into believing that Wickham was a good man.  Plus, her obvious adoration of her brother is just too cute.  And she does her own piano playing, too. :D
Lizzie:  She is a great character in this version, but not as shy as I imagined she would be. One moment I think she does really well is the piano scene at Pemberley. First, I love her conversation with Lizzy, showing them the get on very well together, and secondly, when Wickham is mentioned, her reaction is great as no doubt she would still be upset about that, as it was quite a recent affair.

2005


Miss Woodhouse:  This Georgiana was too boisterous and looked too young.
Miss Laurie:  Tamzin Merchant is cute but too young looking, a bit too talkative and outgoing and not exactly Georgiana of the book.
Amy:   Tamzin Merchant is adorable, but she just looks too young for the part.  Georgiana is supposed to be 16, and Tamzin looks about 13.  Plus, she’s a bit too giggly and bouncy to fit my idea of Georgiana.  A sweet and likable character, yes.  Georgiana, no. [Note from Miss Woodhouse: A sweet and likable character like Mercy Burke?]
Lizzie:  I love her in this version! She is sweet and innocent and acts her age! She seems shyer in this version, as she should be. I love her relationship with her brother in this version; I love when he first returns home and interrupts her piano practice, and then I also love the moment when Lizzy meets her for the first time, and she is really happy and bouncy, but a little shy as well.

Preference


Miss Woodhouse:  Emilie Fox from P&P 1995
Miss Laurie:  While the 2005 film does have funny Georgiana scenes she is not portrayed like the book. The 1995 Georgiana is so sweet and perfectly like the character of the book in every way.
Amy:  Emilia Fox in 1995, definitely.  She’s not absolutely perfect in the role, but she’s as close as I’ve seen.
Lizzie:  I easily prefer the 2005 Georgiana.  She is more innocent in that version, and I think her relationship with her brother is great! Another moment I love is when she gives her brother a look, as if trying to encourage him to ask Lizzy and the Gardiners to stay, as he does shortly after. I think she just seems more her age in the 2005 version and I can completely imagine her being charmed by Mr Wickham to the point of almost eloping! 

The Gardiners


1995

Miss Woodhouse:  Mr Gardiner was a jolly sort, not unlike Mr Weston and Mrs Gardiner was very kind.
Miss Laurie:  The actors portray Mr. & Mrs. as kind, caring, genteel, sensible and interesting to be around. Mrs. Gardiner is not quite as outgoing as in the book but they make wonderful uncle and aunt for the Bennet girls.
Amy:  I liked Mr. and Mrs. Gardiner very much in this version-- I know they’re pretty minor characters, but they’re some of my favorites.  They just seem so sweet and happy together.  You can tell they’ve been married for years but are still very much in love.
Lizzie:  I think the Gardiners are great in this version. You get to see them quite a lot, unlike the 2005 version, and they seem like the perfect aunt and uncle. I love their relationship with Lizzy, and the trip to the Peak district is great, and I love the reaction of Mrs Gardiner in particular when hearing about how wonderful the supposed to be proud Darcy is, and then experiencing it first hand, and seeing how different he was to Lizzy’s description.  

2005


Miss Woodhouse:  Nothing for, nothing against this portrayal of the Gardiners.  You never really got to know them.
Miss Laurie:  The actors wear such old-fashioned Georgian styled clothes that make them look not quite as genteel as they should be. The are kind and good to Lizzy but their manners are not in keeping with the period or story.
Amy:  Mr. and Mrs. Gardiner were pretty much nonentities in this version... I found them a bit silly when they did appear, however (gasping and gaping over Pemberley?  Really?).
Lizzie:  It is a shame that we do not see much of the Gardiners, but what we do see of them shows them to be a great aunt and uncle as well. I also love their reaction to seeing Pemberley for the first time! I think they seem quite close as a couple in this version, but I would need to see more. It is shame they left out the Gardiners children in this version!  

Preference


Miss Woodhouse:  1995.  They put me in mind of Mr and Mrs Weston.
Miss Laurie:  The 1995 Gardiners because they are more like the book.
Amy:  I’m beginning to sound like a broken record... but yep, 1995 wins again.
Lizzie:  I prefer the 1995 Gardiners. I love their relationship with Lizzy, especially between the aunt and Lizzy. I also think that they seem like a really lovely couple and a great aunt and uncle, as well as great parents. Of course I love the Gardiners, as who knows what would have happened without them, ‘as by bringing her into Derbyshire had been the means of uniting them.’ ;) 

Colonel Fitzwilliam



1995


Miss Woodhouse:  A cheerful, good hearted Colonel Fitzwilliam.  I found him excessively diverting.
Miss Laurie:  Anthony Calf portrays a kind, gentlemanly, friendly, sensible and almost handsome Colonel. I wish he had more scenes because he’s such a likeable character.
Amy:  I enjoyed Anthony Calf’s performance, and got the impression that Colonel F rather liked Elizabeth.  I can’t remember if that was in the book or not (a sign that I need to read it again...) but it added a subtle dimension to the story that I really liked. 
Lizzie:  I think Colonel Fitzwilliam is such a sweet character and portrayed brilliantly in this version. I like how the idea of him and Lizzy is hinted at more in this version and I love the conversation around the piano at Rosings with him, Darcy and Lizzy, it shows him to be a really fun and amiable man. 

2005


Miss Woodhouse:  This Colonel Fitzwilliam seemed not to have much sense
Miss Laurie:  Cornelius Booth as Colonel Fitzwilliam laughs at Mr. Darcy, is a bit pompous, looks a bit like a horse and his scenes are short and not very memorable.
Amy:  Was Colonel Fitzwilliam even in P&P05?  I guess he was, if he’s in this list... but he must not have been very memorable, because I don’t remember him at all.
Lizzie:  You don’t see much of him in this version, but what you do see was done very well. He seems like a very friendly chap from first impressions. I think the scene where he reveals the truth about Bingley’s departure is well done, as he seems very unaware of why Lizzy would be so interested in the news, as he should be. 

Preference


Miss Woodhouse:  I like the 1995’s Colonel Fitzwilliam the best.
Miss Laurie:  The 1995 Colonel Fitzwilliam because he was very nice and quite memorable.
Amy:  Anthony Calf in 1995.  After all, he’s been waiting over half an hour!
Lizzie:  I think because we get to see more of him in the 1995 version, I prefer that one.  I love his little relationship with Lizzy, and how there is a possible wish for something more on his side, which I think is ignored in the 2005 version, due to time 

Yours truly,



3 comments:

Rhoswen Faerie Wrose said...

Once again, I have to agree with Miss Laurie and Amy. :-)

Payton Wilson said...

Okay, Round Two, eh? =) Here we go...

1. The Bennet sisters
I like Lydia better in the 1995 version (even though she is a tad too old), but as for Kitty and Mary, I prefer 2005.

2. Mr. Collins
Both did a great job, but I have to go with David Bamber from 1995. He's slimy, gross, toad-like, and I love to hate him. =)

3. Charlotte Lucas
I'm with Amy... it's a toss-up again! I lean toward Claudie Blakely, but really, Lucy Scott was very good as well.

4. Caroline Bingley
Anna Chancellor is.... scary. She's terribly unattractive and vulgar. As far as her behavior though, she is closer to the book than the 2005 Caroline. But as far as looks go, I think Kelly Reilly from 2005 nailed it.

5. Georgiana Darcy
I really don't like 1995 Georgiana. I'm not sure why... I love Tamzin as Georgiana (SO CUTE), but she just isn't the Georgiana of the book. I would expect that a girl who just had her heart broken would be a bit more subdued and such, but Tamzin was very outgoing and acted like she didn't have a care in the world. However, I LOVE her scenes with Darcy. They look like a true brother and sister! I adore how Darcy picks her up, laughing, and swings her around. It's so stinkin' sweet! So.... I'll have to go with 2005 Georgiana.

6. The Gardiners
I prefer 1995 Mrs. Gardiner, but as far as Mr. Gardiner, I love him in 2005. =) "By heavens, Lizzy, what a snob you are!" Or when Darcy asks him to go fishing: "I would be delighted!!" =) He makes me smile!

7. Colonel Fitzwilliam
Definitely 1995. He was so sweet! Although his hair... blech!

Mrs Darcy said...

agree with you Payton about Georgiana!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...