Search This Blog

Thursday, August 09, 2012

Pride and Prejudice Comparisons: Part 3

Jane and Bingley's Romance


1995

Miss Woodhouse:  Since this miniseries is six hours long, it could have devoted a bit more time to Jane and Bingley’s romance, but instead really all I saw was them talking in the background as Lizzy spars with Darcy.  How the proposal comes about is like it was in the book.
Miss Laurie:  A gentle and tender love begins to form and it’s fun to watch it blossom. It’s clear that they like each other and hard to watch Jane have to give up her dream of marrying Mr. Bingley. Then when he comes back to propose it’s wonderful to see them so excited, happy and in love.
Amy:  “Cute” is definitely the best word to describe this relationship.  Jane and Bingley are just SO CUTE.  I love how Bingley makes a beeline for Jane at the first ball at the Assembly Rooms, and the way they say goodbye to each other when Jane leaves Netherfield. The proposal scene is sweet, too-- of course we don’t get to see it, but the aftermath just makes me feel happy inside.  
Lizzie:  I think they are a really cute couple in this version. You can see how much they like each other when they first meet each other and you can see how quickly their relationship develops. I also think that when we see each of them you can see how they are really miss each other, with Bingley asking about her family and ALL her sisters, and Jane trying to persuade Lizzy that she is over him, when really she isn’t. I love the ending, Jane seems so very happy after the proposal, as does Bingley! And I adore the end scene at the wedding, when they seem so happy! I can imagine them really being happy together in the future!

2005

Miss Woodhouse:  Little touches throughout the film showed Bingley and Jane’s regard for each other and it leads up to a more than satisfying proposal “Yes, a thousand times yes”touching.
Miss Laurie:  Their romance is cute and sweet. It’s clear Charles likes Jane as he follows her around like a lovesick puppy most of the time. It’s not clear why Jane likes him because he’s a bit of a goofball and she’s so sensible. Charles pouts when his sister drags him away and Jane seems slightly forlorn but not really affected. Then when they meet again Charles is beside himself with nerves and his proposal scene is awkwardly cute but a bit over emotional.
Amy:  I really, really got a kick out of Bingley and Darcy rehearsing Bingley’s proposal in this version.  That was funny.  But on the whole, I wasn’t as pleased with the Bingley/Jane thing in this movie.  Especially the part where he comes into her room to see her when she’s sick--- what the Gaskell, Bingley!! Gentlemen don’t do that!
Lizzie:   I love the first meeting! Bingley seems so nervous! It is really sweet! And when they first dance, and he almost forgets what he is doing! I think it is also sweet at the Netherfield Ball when he is following her around, talking to her as much as possible! And he is really sweet at the end! They both seem so very happy! I also love the scene when Jane is ill, and Bingley seems pleased! Unfortunately, I think Jane seems a little old for him, or perhaps he seems a little immature at times. But, generally, I love how the relationship develops and it would be nice to have been able to see them more in the film.

Preference

Miss Woodhouse:  Although both of them show their romance in different ways I prefer the 2005 portrayal.
Miss Laurie:  The 1995 version because their relationship is gentle, tender, founded on real affection mutual admiration and true friendship just like the book.
Amy:  Crispin Bonham-Carter and Susannah Harker in 1995.
Lizzie:  I think I like the relationship between them in the 1995 one. Mainly, I think, as Bingley seems besotted with Jane but not to silly about it, and also because we get to see them more and they are really sweet together. I love the endings for them both, but I think I do prefer the 2005 ending, with Bingley on one knee! But, in the 1995, with the scenes we see after Bingley has gone away and we see how they are each taking it are really sweet. But, this was a tough call, and I like the clich├ęd ‘love at first sight’ actually working out for once!

Darcy's Relationship With Georgiana


1995

Miss Woodhouse:  Now I know Darcy was proud but he could have had a bit more outward affection for Georgiana in this adaption.  Although that scene with him comforting her after Wickham leaves is truly touching.
Miss Laurie:  Like in the book Darcy is the strong older brother who is protective of his younger sister who he loves deeply. Georgiana loves and respects her brother’s judgement above that of everyone else but is also a bit in awe of him. I love that we get to see flashbacks of Mr. Darcy rescuing his sister from Wickham and then comforting her because it shows a deeper part of Darcy and how he will also care for Elizabeth. The interaction between Darcy, Georgiana and Elizabeth at Pemberley is very sweet but gentle and tender.
Amy:  We don’t get to see as much of the Darcy and Georgiana relationship in this version as I would wish, but what we do see is most gratifying.  Probably my favorite scene of the two of them together is when they come to see Elizabeth at the Lambton inn-- I’m not sure why, but I think it’s cute when Georgiana asks for permission to invite Elizabeth to Pemberley, and Darcy is like, “Go right ahead, sounds great, I’d do it myself only it would be awwwwwwwwkward.”  (Okay, so he doesn’t really say that-- but that’s what he’s thinking, right?)
Lizzie:  I think the relationship in this version is more like it is described in the book. I know Georgiana is meant to see Darcy as almost a father because of the large age gap. The clip explaining what Wickham’s dealings with Georgiana have been is sweet, when she runs to him for support, shows their love for each other. I also like the part when she asks her brother if she can ask Lizzy to dinner at Pemberley, it shows how she respects him. I also think that at the scene at Pemberley, we can see how Darcy wishes them to get on well. They discuss him being a wonderful elder brother and then look at Darcy, and he looks back, confused, but also pleased that they are getting on so well.

2005

Miss Woodhouse:  Darcy is more exuberant and affectionate with Georgiana in P&P 2005.  He swirls around with her in his arms – overall he is more outgoing with his sister than with anyone else.
Miss Laurie:  The scenes between Darcy and Georgiana at Pemberley are fun and make the viewer smile but they are not very in keeping with the book. Georgiana is giddy and presumptuous and hints that Darcy has told her he likes Lizzy very much. It’s cute but not something the Georgiana of the book would have dared to do until she’d gotten to know Elizabeth better.
Amy:   I liked how this version showed the reunion between Darcy and Georgiana when he came home to Pemberley-- they were both obviously thrilled to see each other again, and I liked that.  It showed a little more of Darcy’s less stiff side-- though since Matthew Macfadyen didn’t really have a stiff side, the effect was less effective than it could have been. 
Lizzie:  I think in this version they seem more like a brother and sister. I adore the part when Darcy first returns to Pemberley and interrupts her piano playing, and she is so pleased that he has returned! I also find that they seem more at ease with each, for example that conversation when Lizzy first meets Georgiana, the conversation is really funny and they seem so easy with each other, and I love the look Georgiana gives Darcy when trying to persuade him to ask Lizzy to stay! I also love, just before this scene, the part when Darcy is listening to his sister playing the piano, and he looks so proud of her!

Preference

Miss Woodhouse:  2005.  Their relationship is very sweet.
Miss Laurie:   I just love how the 1995 film gives you more glimpses into Darcy’s character through his past and present interactions with Georgiana. You also get a glimpse at how noble Elizabeth can be through her protecting Georgiana from Caroline Bingley’s comments, a real sense of how they’ll all get along well at Pemberley.
Amy:  Toss-up.  Frankly, I would have liked to see more elements of the 2005 relationship added to the one in 1995... I can just picture Colin Firth and Emilia Fox doing the “easily persuaded, is she not?” dialogue.  ;)
Lizzie:  Even though the relationship in the 2005 version may not be quite as it is in the novel, I prefer the closeness and how it seems to me, a more brother and sister relationship as you would expect it. They are really sweet together and seem less formal with each other than they do in the 1995. I like them in both versions, but I prefer the 2005 because of their easiness and closeness.

Darcy/Lizzy Dance


1995

Miss Woodhouse:  This dance used a lot of lines from the book – I think the conversation was pretty much word for word.  The tune for the dance was the same one as the Emma/Knightley 1996 dance.
Miss Laurie:  The music is very catchy and the dance moves along gracefully and allows for natural stops in the dance where Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy can chat. Almost all of the original dialog is used in the scene and it’s clear to understand that Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy keep clashing and misunderstanding each other.
Amy:  Just the right mix of awkward and interesting.  Although of course such superior dancing is rarely to be seen.  And I’m sure Mr. Darcy’s fair partner was well worthy of him. ;)  The verbal sparring is nicely timed with the music, and despite the fact that I cringe every time I see Mr. Darcy in those stupid pumps, I do like Elizabeth’s graceful outfit (if only the neckline were higher!).
Lizzie:  This dance is no doubt closer to the book, and it includes more of the dialogue. I love how the two of them act to each other. Lizzy is so very teasing! But Darcy realises what she is about and is quite witty in his responses! I think the part when they are stopped by Sir William is great as, as well as being how it happens in the novel, it brings Bingley and Jane’s attachment to Darcy’s attention, which of course is important. I love Lizzy’s facial expressions throughout, and how unsubtle she is in her questioning of Darcy, and how she can’t refrain from mentioning her new acquaintance! And they way Darcy responds to her is also great! I think Firth and Ehle are just great together and do this scene wonderfully!

2005

Miss Woodhouse:  This dance crackles with energy and repressed emotion – they argue for the first half of the dance and then the room ‘empties’ and Lizzy and Darcy are the only two dancing.  It’s romantic and beautiful.
Miss Laurie:  The music is quite heart wrenchingly beautiful and the dance is very graceful. The dialog between Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy is fairly paraphrased from the book and shortened leaving a lot of time of just the couple dancing in an empty room and staring longingly into each other’s eyes - which I find quite ridiculous as Elizabeth doesn’t even like Mr. Darcy at this point in the story. And then towards the end of the dance they stop still, almost tripping the other dancers, and they speak angry words to each other while Mr. Darcy looks the whole time like he’s going to grab Lizzy and kiss her.
Amy:  Please pause a moment while I swoon over the pearls in Keira Knightley’s hair. ...Okay, I’m done.  This dance just isn’t as memorable as the other one, and no, that is NOT because I’m biased toward 1995!  It’s just that I got too much of a sense of “OOH ROMANTIC TENSION LET’S PLAY THIS THING UP!”  I can just imagine how the script went-- LIZZY: *say random line, then stare soulfully into Darcy’s eyes*.  DARCY: *give clipped random answer, acquire neck cramp by bending over to stare into Lizzy’s eyes*
Lizzie:  The dialogue which is included in the dance in this version is quite accurate, but they have to shorten the dance, which is a shame. But, they make this scene very dramatic! I think Macfadyen does the scene wonderfully. I love his nervousness, as I think he would be nervous as he isn’t a keen dancer! I also think, similarly to the 1995 version, the relationship between them is great, especially on Lizzy’s side in this, her teasing is so funny! And she seems to be enjoying it! It is very dramatic when they just stop in the middle of the dance, because of Lizzy mentioning Wickham, and then afterwards everyone else just disappears! I think it really reflects how they would be thinking and feeling. I don’t think either of them would be thinking about anything other than what had just passed between them, so for everyone to disappear actually works I feel.  

Preference

Miss Woodhouse:   I love the 2005 dance.
Miss Laurie:  The 1995 version because it comes directly from the book without being boring. The 2005 version I find to be over emotional like they really tried to spice Jane Austen’s original but a bit.
Amy:  The 1995 dance scene.  Shock of shocks.
Lizzie:  This is hard. Overall, I think I prefer the 1995 dance. Firstly, I like how Darcy banters back quite wittily to Lizzy, and secondly, the moment when Sir William interrupts is included, which I think is a really important moment. I do like the intenseness of the 2005 one, and I also like Lizzy’s reaction to accepting Darcy in the first place! But, in the 1995, this is funny as well as she is trying to find a reason to say no, but really can’t! So, I think accuracy and content wins here, even though this is not always the case!

Mr Collins' Proposal

For some reason I forgot to make a Mr Collins' proposal banner so I'm just re-using the Mr Collins one

1995

Miss Woodhouse:  Word for word from the book.  Very amusing (and annoying since Mr Collins won’t believe she’s refusing him).
Miss Laurie:  The method for getting Elizabeth to be alone with Mr. Collins is quite silly but she patiently stays knowing she can’t really avoid it. Mr. Collins goes on in his bumbling manner of talking with a proposal speech that is quite hilarious. Elizabeth giggles at him behind his back and finds the whole situation quite entertaining because all the time you can tell that she’s going to refuse him. Her parents have funny reactions and the whole scene in general perfectly fits the book.
Amy:  This is the best proposal in the history of cinema.  Ever.  I mean, what girl wouldn’t swoon over that most animated language that assures her of the violence of Mr. Collins’ affections?  It’s your dream too, right?  Right? …. Oh, very well, maybe it’s not the fairy-tale version of popping the question.  But it’s hilarious beyond belief.
Lizzie:  The proposal was very comical in this version, and Mr Collins was very dislikable as well. The way he was acting towards Lizzy, walking around listing of his reasons made his seem really slimy! I also love how Lizzy just walks out on him and he is still speaking, but she has had enough by that time! Very funny, and I don’t find myself pitying him in the slightest! I also love Mrs Bennet’s way of clearing the room, very subtle!

2005

Miss Woodhouse:  That little flower is hilarious!  Another good (?) proposal.
Miss Laurie:  Mrs. Bennet is desperate to get Mr. Collins alone with Lizzy that she makes the whole family leave the breakfast table. It’s actually a bit disturbing when Lizzy seems so repulsed at the idea of being alone with Mr. Collins that she begs Jane and Mr. Bennet to stay in the room and they both have to obey Mrs. Bennet. Lizzy stares wide eyed with a look of horror as Mr. Collins proffers a tiny flower and then goes dryly through his proposal. She is so abrupt with her answer and then runs out of the room leaving her sister who have been listening at the door in giggling fits while Mr. Collins looks as if his heart might break. Mrs. Bennet demands that Mr. Bennet stop fussing with his plants and tell Lizzy they insist on her marrying Mr. Collins. Lizzy begs her father not to make her and he says lines similar to the book but in such a way that makes him seem helpless in the situation.
Amy:  I liked the way the Bennets all hustled out of the room at the beginning... I liked Mr. Collins’ creepy awkwardness... I liked how he shoved the flower in Lizzy’s face... in fact, I liked quite a few elements of this scene, but on the whole it fell a bit flat.
Lizzie:  Also extremely funny in this one, but I also feel a little sorry for him. I love how they go into this proposal, with the drawing room clearing, and Lizzy trying to beg people to stay, poor girl! I also love that Collins give her that little flower he was holding at the ball the night before. It is funny when he goes down on one knee, and you can see how much Lizzy wants to get away! I also love the ending, when the door bursts open with the young Bennets laughing their heads off!

Preference

Miss Woodhouse:  I tend to prefer the 2005 version because it’s got Kiera Knightley as Lizzy.  How can you go wrong? (And all the P&P 1995 fans say ‘Oh you can, Miss Woodhouse, oh you can!’)
Miss Laurie:  The 1995 version is the only one of the two that comes close to catching the fun and wit of the proposal from the book. The 2005 proposal seems so strange and desperate in some ways.
Amy:  The little-known 1876 version, preserved forever on Thomas Edison’s handheld iDaguerrotype.  (I jest.  I jest.  1995, naturally.  What beats “and *I* will VISIT her!”?)
Lizzie:  Overall, I think I prefer the 1995 proposal because you are not put in a position to pity him as much as you are in the 2005 one. Both are funny, as are the reactions from the other characters, but I think because of the performance of Collins, making him easy to dislike, this one wins, but it was a close call!

Darcy's First Proposal


1995

Miss Woodhouse:  This was...awkward.  Darcy wasn’t able to sit still and although it was quoted directly from the book, it wasn’t as good as...
Miss Laurie:  It takes place at the vicarage just like in the book. Mr. Darcy’s nervousness is very sweet and natural, he states his case well and although he stuns and offends Elizabeth she makes some signs of exasperation but she does not interrupt. When she answers him she tells him exactly what she is thinking but without yelling or becoming unladylike. They are both left quite ruffled from their experience but Elizabeth can’t regret anything she’s said.
Amy:  “In vain I have struggled, it will NOT do.  My feelings cannot be repressed.  You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you...”  Most of us could probably recite this proposal from memory-- and there’s a reason for that! The 1995 series took the little bit Jane Austen provided us with (why didn’t she elaborate on her proposals??? WHY?) and expanded upon it to make one of the most quotable scenes in cinema history.  Plus, Jennifer Ehle’s facial expressions are just priceless.
Lizzie:  This one is very true to the book with the setting and the dialogue. I love Firth’s performance at the beginning when he is pacing the room, not knowing where to begin!  I also love how the tension builds between them through the scene, with Lizzy starting sitting down, and then as it goes on, standing up, as she is getting more and more angry. The performances are great by both, and I find myself really starting to pity Darcy because Lizzy is so harsh in her refusal, which was done very well by Ehle. The end is also sweet, with Darcy wishing the best for her health and happiness and walking out, and the Lizzy, overcome by emotions, does not know what to do, or what to make of it all!

2005

Miss Woodhouse:  “...I  love you...most ardently...”  This proposal was so much better – it’s more romantic, more intense, more heartrending.
Miss Laurie:  It takes place outdoors when it’s raining and both Lizzy and Mr. Darcy are a little damp when they meet under the temple porch. With little ceremony Mr. Darcy starts right in with his proposal professing his love in a paraphrased version of the original text. Lizzy’s looks and words in response are conveyed with such vehemence that she looks like a wild animal and sounds like she’s yelling at him. Mr. Darcy yells right and at the end of the scene when they’re finished talking Mr. Darcy looks at Lizzy as if he’s about to grab her and kiss her and she looks at him as if she doesn’t dislike the idea.
Amy:  What’s with Mr. Darcy always having to get wet at some point?  The fact that this scene takes place in the rain honestly doesn’t add anything to it, in my book.  And why on earth was Mr. Darcy already waiting in the pavilion thingy when Lizzy ducked in there out of the rain???  That’s a bit creepy in my book.  However, I have to admit I melted a little at the part where he says, “I love you,” with the complete puppy-dog eyes.  WELL, I DID.  Miss Sentimentality over here...
Lizzie:  I love this proposal! It is so romantic. I know that it is not true to the book in setting, but in words it is pretty close! I think Macfadyen performed wonderfully. You could really see the pain on his face, and his facial expression throughout were wonderful! Knightley performed very well to, in her reaction to this surprising proposal! I love the chemistry between these to, and how angry they both get, especially at the mention of Wickham! I think the setting in the rain and the thunderstorm really help this scene, making it very dramatic, romantic and also sad! I really feel for Darcy at the end of this proposal, and Lizzy seems very over come as well as she falls back onto the pillar. This scene in contrast to the next when she receives the letter is a great contrast, and helps to keep up the tension.  

Preference

Miss Woodhouse:  Can there be any doubt?  2005.
Miss Laurie:  The 2005 version is so far from the book that I can’t like it very much and greatly prefer the 1995 proposal where Mr. Darcy stays a gentleman and Elizabeth still acts like a lady.
Amy:  In vain I have struggled, it will not do, I WILL choose 1995 every. single. time.
Lizzie:  This is a really hard choice, but I think I have to give it to the 2005 proposal, as I am a sucker for romance! The tension and connection between them is great, and really strong, and, though not strictly Austen, I love the setting in the rain. I love the other proposal as well, and it is very dramatic as well (and the ending is perfect) but thinking of the performances, setting and dialogue, overall, I love the 2005 proposal, but again, it was a very hard call!

Darcy's Second Proposal


1995

Miss Woodhouse:   It was sweet but it wasn’t really romantic enough.  It was just all of a sudden “Oh, they’re apologizing!” and then they resolve all their differences and...that’s that.
Miss Laurie:  Just as in the book Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy are out for a walk with Bingley and Jane and they lag behind a bit and Elizabeth starts to thank Darcy for his kindness to her family. The dialog come straight from the book (only skipping a few things) and in very little time Mr. Darcy has asked Elizabeth again and she has accepted. I do wish Mr. Darcy might have smiled a bit more when she accepts but overall it’s such a sweet scene!
Amy:  I do love this scene.  I do.  But quite frankly, I think it could have been better.  The book isn’t as descriptive as I would have liked, which gave the filmmakers some room to be creative, but they didn’t really capitalize on that.  Or maybe it was just Colin Firth’s fault.  SMILE ALREADY, DUDE.   But the “dearest, loveliest Elizabeth” and the happy smile on Lizzy’s face pretty much made up for anything lacking.
Lizzie:  This was a lovely scene. Very true to the book but I think it needed to be made a bigger deal of in the series, as, although romantic and a wonderful ending, I think it should have been more dramatic. Saying that, I still loved it! I loved both their awkwardness at the beginning of the scene, and then the happiness which overspread both of them by the end.

2005

Miss Woodhouse:  *Swoon worthy* Sorry, I got a little carried away there.  Darcy striding out of the mist, his three ‘I loves’, and then their heads against the backdrop of a rising sun.  *Sigh*
Miss Laurie:  Is very unlike the book in every way. Mr. Darcy & Lizzy meet on the misty moors as dawn breaks, wearing little but their undergarments. In fact if Mr. Darcy had been seen with others without his cravat and vest with and Lizzy in only her night shift and overcoat her father would have every right to demand that Darcy marry his daughter. Their dialog is sweet but “You have bewitched me, body and soul” does little to convey Mr. Darcy’s true feeling and the reasons why he loves Lizzy and she loves him.
Amy:  The knight in shining pajamas strikes again! Duhn-duhn-duhn! Seriously, you people.  This scene is the silliest thing ever.  Naturally, Darcy and Lizzy would be gallivanting through pastures in their nightclothes.  Unchaperoned.  Kissing in public.  Of course.  It was exactly was Jane Austen had in mind, yes?  NO.  The only redeeming thing about this scene is that it’s hilarious... but I don’t think it was supposed to be that way.
Lizzie:  Such a romantic scene! Yes, again, not very Regency, but still wonderful! The setting is very sweet and I love the loop of having the film start at dawn, and end at dawn. Who wouldn’t want a handsome man walking towards you, coat flapping in the wind, to speak the words he says to Lizzy?! The speech he makes is breathtaking and it proves that a scene can be extremely romantic, without a kiss!

Preference

Miss Woodhouse:  As in the Emma Comparisons, in almost everything I’m sticking to the newer version.  2005 wins again.
Miss Laurie:  Now thinking about the customs and dress of that day I can see that the 2005 film made such huge errors in this second proposal. The 1995 version is the closest to the book I’ve ever seen and it’s sweet too.  
Amy:  I’m gonna let you guess.
Lizzie:   Easily the 2005 version. Love them both but I think the setting is beautiful and it is just a lovely end to the film, and very romantic. I love the chemistry between them, and it is just a gorgeous scene! The wording is lovely and I think the expressions and emotions displayed by each are so touching and it all contributes to making it one of the most romantic scenes I have seen!

Ending


1995

Miss Woodhouse:  Now I know I’ve been pretty hard toward this adaption but I must say that the ending is PERFECTION.  They’ve been through quite a bit and it’s so wonderful to hear the triumphant music ringing out as they get into the carriages, their kiss.  It’s lovely.
Miss Laurie:  How can you go wrong with a double wedding? I love the scene because it shows not only the two happy couples but all of the other characters and how their lives will continue on. Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy look so happy and the sweet kiss they share as the drive away is quite appropriate as they are a married couple.
Amy:  Double wedding! Happiness! Everybody ride off into the sunset (er, snowstorm)! Newlyweds kissing! Mrs. Bennet getting the last word in, as usual! This scene just makes me feel happy inside.  And a few tears usually splash out along the way.  (Yes, I know it’s a happy ending.  That’s why I’m crying.  Hand me the tissues and stop laughing at me.)
Lizzie:  This is such a perfect ending for this wonderful series! I love the double wedding – Jane and Lizzy being very close sisters, and Darcy and Bingley being great friends.  I think the way the show each of the characters in turn during the wedding is very clever, and quite similar to the final chapter of the book when we see the reactions of each character. Love the scene afterwards when they are departing in their carriages, (my theory is that each horse represents £2,500 as Bingley’s carriage has 2 and Darcy’s has 4!) Jane and Bingley look very happy, and Darcy and Lizzy look extremely pleased and also the look on Darcy’s face seems as though he is thinking ‘finally!’ And a lovely end to a stunning series, with a very appropriate kiss!  

2005

Miss Woodhouse:  Another ending that’s perfection...actually more than perfection.  I love endings where it shows the couple already married.  ‘Mrs Darcy...’
Miss Laurie:  Although it’s interesting to see Mr. Darcy and Lizzy at Pemberley it’s also a bit inappropriate to show them on their honeymoon and their remarks are just a bit cheesy.
Amy:  I’m tempted to quote Jessie in Toy Story, really I am.  “Mrs. Darcy.  WE GET IT.”  Again, this is another “seriously????” scene.  My friend’s little brother refers to the kissing at the end of P&P95 as “the scary part”.  He’d probably have nightmares after the end of this one.
Lizzie:  Well, I don’t know which end I should take as in England, the film ends when Lizzy runs out of her father’s room after receiving the consent to marry him, and the ending with them at Pemberley is on the bonus features as an ‘alternate US ending’. I like the ending at Pemberley and why wouldn’t they behave like that when at home alone? But, I know some think maybe it went a little too far, which I understand. But the English ending, for me, didn’t go far enough, and I think Darcy needs to be in the final shot of the film.  I would have liked something in between the two endings, as a kiss is lovely, but maybe not that many! But, the ending, whichever one you consider the ending, is still a good way to finish the amazing film.

Preference

Miss Woodhouse:  This is a really tough call (the first ever since the start of these comparisons).  The wedding is perfect, ‘Mrs Darcy’ is perfect BUT I must pick so I shall surprise myself and say that the wed...but what am I saying?  I honestly can’t pick between them.
Miss Laurie:   I prefer the 1995 ending very much because it’s such a happy scene!
Amy:  Ummmm... it’s so hard to decide! (Fine.  1995.  Pardon my sarcasm.)
Lizzie:  I think it would be the 1995 ending, as I think it just a perfect way to finish the series. The emotions shown by each are really strong and they seem genuinely happy and you can imagine them going off to live at Pemberley very happily, and it is lovely to see Jane and Bingley seeming equally happy and content with how it has all turned out and I find it to be a very satisfying ending, without the feeling of wanting something more, which is always a good way for a film or series to end.

Yours truly,



3 comments:

Kirk said...

Great stuff, as always, Ladies! I love love love the 2005 Dance Scene. I love that the music is called "A Postcard from Henry"(Purcell). I love it almost as much as I love Rosamund Pike! Cheers and thank you!

Mrs Darcy said...

Haha glad you enjoyed it!! I loved participating!! And I love that dance and song as well!!

Mrs Darcy said...

Thank you so much for letting me join in on this, it has been wonderful!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...