Search This Blog

Monday, February 18, 2013

Book Review: Georgiana Darcy's Diary

Georgiana Darcy's Diary: Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice ContinuedMr. Darcy's younger sister searches for her own happily-ever-after.

The year is 1814, and it's springtime at Pemberley. Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy have married. But now a new romance is in the air, along with high fashion, elegant manners, scandal, deception, and the wonderful hope of a true and lasting love.

Shy Georgiana Darcy has been content to remain unmarried, living with her brother and his new bride. But Elizabeth and Darcy's fairy-tale love reminds Georgiana daily that she has found no true love of her own. And perhaps never will, for she is convinced the one man she secretly cares for will never love her in return. Georgiana's domineering aunt, Lady Catherine de Bourgh, has determined that Georgiana shall marry, and has a list of eligible bachelors in mind. But which of the suitors are sincere, and which are merely interested in Georgiana's fortune? Georgiana must learn to trust her heart and rely on her courage, for she also faces the return of the man who could ruin her reputation and spoil a happy ending, just when it finally lies within her grasp.
 
 
I'll admit I'm not an Austen purist.  I love reading spinoffs and continuations of Jane Austen's books.  Most of the time.  I've only read one other, full length Austen continuation - it was from S&S and it was horrible.  Willoughby came back.  Marianne was discontented with being Colonel Brandon's wife and it was just really, really weird.  I've mostly only read spinoffs (namely the 'diaries' by Amanda Grange) and the stories in Jane Austen Made Me Do It which include some really nice continuations (one based on Emma comes to mind).  So despite the mixed reviews on Amazon, I purchased Georgiana Darcy's Diary.  I read a little excerpt before I ordered it and I really liked it. 
 
I wasn't disappointed with the rest of the book either.  In the introduction, the author states that she wouldn't even try to match Jane Austen's writing style which is why she wrote the book in diary form.  I love books that are written in first person so I knew I would enjoy this.  It's quite as 'light and bright and sparkling' as the original book and it was highly amusing in certain places.
 
Now, Wickham did come back but I didn't mind it because 1) he was actually shown to be bad and Georgiana had no interest in him and 2) it was actually important to the plot that he would come back.  Plus it led to a rather amusing incident in which Colonel Fitzwilliam - Edward - mistakes a man that Georgiana is talking to for Wickham...and, well, I won't tell you what happens.  You'll just have to read it :)
 
Speaking of Edward, the story between him and Georgiana was so sweet and you really got to know him a lot better.  As for the other characters, Lady Catherine is still just as imposing, Caroline's character is slightly changed but not too much as to be annoying and Anne de Bourgh's gradual character change was amazing...I loved it.  Elizabeth is just as witty and sparkling as she is in Pride & Prejudice and though you hardly see anything of Darcy, I liked him too.

 
Overall, Georgiana Darcy's Diary is an enthralling read for any Austen fan and I highly recommend it.
 

 

5 comments:

Charity U said...

I have this one right now on my Kindle app, and am looking forward to reading it soon! Glad you recommend it. Love those Amanda Grange diaries! :)

Petie said...

Have you ever read Mr. Darcy's Little Sister? It's really the only P&P spinoff I loved. It's super sweet! :)

Eva said...

@Charity - I love the Amanda Grange diaries so much :) I started with reading Mr Darcy's Diary and I bought my mom Colonel Brandon's a couple of years ago. I've now read all of them except Henry Tilney's.

@Petie - Hehehehe...so happy to see you commenting m'dear. You know, I find it hilarious that we can find so much to say to each other in 'private' but we don't really comment on each other's blogs that much. Anyway. I haven't read Mr Darcy's Little Sister although I've heard a lot of good things about it. Something tells me our library doesn't have it, but I'll just go check to make sure :)

Hayden said...

I haven't read any of the books by the author, but I've heard good things about them...it's just that our library doesn't have them. (grrr!)

I'll look around for this one, though. It sounds interesting!

Abilaine said...

I'll have to get it!

My cousins and I are completely silly when we get together and we all have our own funny ideas of who everyone (who had not got married in p&P) would marry. And my BFF has killed off Wickam and Mr. Collins. LOL!

Personally I would love Georgiana would marry Col. Fitzwilliam. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...