Search This Blog

Sunday, February 03, 2013

Book Review: Glimpses Of Truth

Glimpses of Truth
I know that I promised that my next post (after my War Horse review) would be some snippets from The Revealing and that I've posted lots and lots of book/movie reviews here recently.  But today I finished reading this book for the millionth time so I thought it was about time I reviewed it (and I promise the next post will be snippets and the next book review I do will be a Jane Austen-related one).

***


An extraordinary intellect, the love of a beautiful woman, and a remarkable mission - life holds great promise for Thomas Torr. Chosen by John Wycliffe to assist in translating the Latin Vulgate into English, the young peasant senses God calling him to an incredible, but dangerous, destiny. Thus begins a thrilling adventure, leading from the catacombs of Rome to the hinterlands of Britain. Here are characters to fall in love with, exotic settings, drama, intrigue . . . and an ending that will stir anew your desire to fulfill God's call on your life.

I don't really read Christian novels (or novels of any kind for that matter).  There is exactly one Amish fiction trilogy that I read on a semi-regular basis (I don't like Amish novels in general but this one is special to me), one Christian fiction trilogy that I read on a semi-regular basis and this book - Glimpses Of Truth.  My Grandpa gave it to me and I read it right away.  And then I read it again.  And again.  Each time I started it over again, it seemed to be new to me...it's my favorite book ever, bar none.

The characters are amazing.  Thomas is the main character and although I like him, he's not my favorite (which isn't really surprising because, in general, main characters in books and movies aren't my favorites).  Felice is another story...I love her!  But the award for best character goes to her father, Howel.  A simple peasant with a love for God and His Word, a devoted father and courageous man, Howel really shines as the true hero of the story.  Kendall, the third person in the love triangle (which is a subplot that balances the main story perfectly) is a close second.  He's such a gentleman and so kind and protective to Felice...and his sacrifice in the end just broke my heart.

The plot moves quickly, but not too quickly and I must say that I love Jack Cavanaugh's writing style.  Descriptive, simple and moving.  The story takes you from England to Italy then back to England...hmmmm, sounds a bit like Little Dorrit.  

The final scene is. so. heartbreaking.  I don't even want to talk about it.

Have you read Glimpses Of Truth?  What did you think about it?



2 comments:

Maribeth B said...

I've never read this, but it looks really interesting! The Protestant Reformation is one of my favorite time periods to read about!

Also, just wanted to let you know that I tagged you on my blog! Have a lovely day!

http://www.formidablecourage.com/2013/02/06/shine-on-award-tag/

Eva said...

Actually, the book I told you about, Beyond The Sacred Page, is a sort of sequel to Glimpses Of Truth (there was going to be a four book series with each book focusing on a different Bible translation but after the first two books the series was cut because of poor sales - I would have loved to read the last two!)

Thanks for tagging me :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...