Search This Blog

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Sir Percy Blakeney Day

A year ago today Anne-girl announced on her blog that April 27th was the official Sir Percy Blakeney Day.  And being caught up with Jane Austen heroes and Jean Valjean at the time, I brushed it off because 1) I hadn't read any of the books so I didn't really know what all the hype about him was about and 2) I didn't really care.  I actually ranted a bit to my mom that day about how all my blogging friends were obsessing about this guy and how I would never, ever do the same thing.  Because I thought it was silly (this from the girl who gushed about Mr Knightley whenever she got the chance).  Then, a few months ago, I decided to read The Scarlet Pimpernel (after all, I had gotten it free on my Kindle).  And that was the proverbial point of no return for me.  I actually stayed up all night reading TSP and then El Dorado.  And I'm very happy to be able to say that I've stayed up till three o'clock in the morning, reading.

Why do I love the story of the Scarlet Pimpernel so much (and, of course the man behind the enigma)?  I don't think I can properly put it into words.  Even when I was little, I loved the story of Robin Hood - a brave man who foils his enemies time and time again and always makes a daring escape.  Which is much the same story as TSP (yes, there are huge differences in plot, characters, etc. but the basic ideas are similar).  I love Percy and Margurite's true, steadfast, beautiful and extremely romantic marriage (they are the only literary couple I know that are actually married throughout the whole book/series).  And while all the books are amazing, El Dorado really has to stand out as the most amazing one for the simple reason that Percy is at his very best.  Seriously...pledging to protect Jeanne, staying in Paris to rescue Armand, a lot of Amazing Wounded Distress, a heartrendingly beautiful scene between him and Margurite and, of course, his daring escape plan...

Need I say more?



3 comments:

Miss Melody Muffin said...

PERCY!!! *sigh* :D I'm very glad you see why we are so nuts over him and have joined the Leaguettes.

I tagged you, Eva. It is here: http://thesplendorfalls.blogspot.com/2013/05/tags-part-one.html

Eva said...

Thanks, Miss Melody :) I've been coming up rather dry for blog post topics and the tag will be perfect :)

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHA!!! I didn't know that!!! : D Of course, *I'm* the girl that said last year, "What's the deal with all of these superhero movies coming out lately?! Who needs superheroes?" and, fastforward to now, when I'm totally in love with Steve Rogers/Captain America and have convinced my younger sister (who is almost as big a fan of Cap as I am) to let us watch it today because it's her birthday. : D

Things happen. Opinions change. And we are the better for it.

-Eowyn-
www.inklingspress.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...