Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Barricade Boys Week - Videos

I thought we could all use a little Les Mis humor :)
Today is June 5th.  181 years ago, students and workers 'crashed' General Lamarque's funeral and built barricades all over the city of Paris.  Tomorrow, will the 181st anniversary of Enjolras' death the failed 1832 Paris Insurrection.  I'm betting that the fandom will explode tomorrow (not literally, I hope). Just thought you might like that little bit of a history lesson before we move on to the post :)

Below is  list of a few of the barricade boy related videos on Youtube.  I'm not embedding them in this post because (for me) it makes my blog load very slowly.  But I will be providing links and I really encourage you to check them all out.
  • Blaclick High School: Red & Black - When I said that this production was wretched (in an earlier post), I wasn't kidding.  Red & Black is supposed to be a stirring song but I watch this version for the comedic potential.  All the students except Enjo and Marius are girls, the singing is terrible and the 'Liberty, Equality, Fraternity' is drawn in crayon on a sheet of paper.  When Enjolras is singing 'Red, the blood of angry men..." everyone's ignoring him.  Not exactly an inspiring leader.
  • 25thAC: Red & Black - This is the best version of R&B (along with the film).  Except for Nick Jonas as Marius, it would be perfect.  All the other students' awesomeness almost makes up for it though :)
  • 25thAC: Drink With Me - (I'm going to be sending you to three different versions of DWM, so bear with me, 'kay?)  Best. version. ever.  Hands down, no questions asked.  It's better than the film because it has all the lines and Hadley Fraser's Grantaire is so much better than any other R I've ever seen.  It's a really beautiful song so I love any version of it, but this is my favorite.
  • Drink With Me (Fra Fee as Enjolras) - I basically just listen to this for the Enjolras' beginning lines.  It always makes me smile when he says "Courfeyrac, you take the watch" because Fra Fee was Courf in the film :)
  • CSR Drink With Me (reprise) - I've hardly ever listen to the CSR (Complete Symphonic Recording) but someone on Pinterest directed me to the reprise of DWM and since that's my favorite song, I had to listen to it.  It comes after Enjo's "Let all women and fathers of children go from here".  Annnnnd, it made me cry.  So did the little instrumental reprise of Castle on a Cloud at the end.  Go figure.
  • A La Volonté Du Peuple - Or 'the French version of DYHTPS?'  This is amazing.  It sounds even more heroic in French than in English and I can't even understand the words.  It's that good.
  • Les Miserables: Dead Hearts - Okay.  So.  This is totally not my style of music but I do love this fan-video.  The lyrics are eerily perfect for the barricade boys - someone even referred to it as 'the modern version of Turning'  Yep.  I can see where that came from.  Go watch it.  You'll love it.
  • United We Stand, Divided We Fall - Now this is my favorite fan-video.  Heart pounding instrumental music with quotes from the brick and perfectly matched clips.  A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.
  • Les Amis de l'ABC: Green Fields of France - This fan-vid was created by Amy and it really has everything - a great song, Enjonine, lots of tears and feels.  Love this one!
  • The Young Revolutionaries - THE BARRICADE BOYS VIDEO TO END ALL BARRICADE BOYS VIDEOS.  Six minutes of behind the scenes barricade boy clips from the film.  Highlights?  A bit of R's part in DWM, bits of interviews with all the main students, a jazzy version of Bring Him Home (by the barricade boys) and just general awesomeness.  Now I have to go watch it again.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me: Wretched singing? Hmmm.... *clicks link*

(Three seconds later....)

Me: AHHHHHH!!!!! TURN IT OFF!!!!!

Seriously, Eva, that was AWFUL. I need to watch the other videos, but I don't have time right now. : ( I did watch the Dead Hearts one the other day and it was soooo good.... REALLY sad, though.... But, hey. It's Les Miz. : )

-Eowyn-

Eva said...

I wasn't kidding, eh? :D

Oh, yes, the Dead Hearts vid is *so* heartbreaking. I cry every time I watch it :(

Melissa Ngai said...

I know this is an old post but gah I am so sad/mad. They made The Young Revolutionaries video private and now I will never be able to again witness the short but sweet clip of the Barricade Boys singing a jazzy Bring Him Home :'(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...