Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Gifted Hands



Young Ben Carson didn't have much of a chance. Growing up in a broken home amongst poverty and prejudice, his grades suffered and his temper flared. And yet, his mother never lost her faith in him. Insisting he follow the opportunities she never had, she helped to grow his imagination, intelligence and, most importantly, his belief in himself. That faith would be his gift - the thing that would drive him to follow his dream of becoming one of the world's leading neurosurgeons.

Every once in a long while, I'll watch a movie that I really, really, really like.  Not the kind where I say "Hmmmm...this is a pretty good movie.  I wouldn't mind watching this again..."  It's the kind where, whether or not I'm able to, I want to watch it over and over until I'm sick of it (an unfortunate conclusion to most of my movie obsessions).  And Gifted Hands was one of those movies.  Although I haven't been able to watch it for a second time, I'll definitely be on the look out for an opportunity :)

This film was hugely inspiring, tearjerking (happy tears, though) and all the acting was very well done.  There are some movies that my family and I laugh about because the acting was so overdone.  You know the kind - it's supposed to be serious but it's just hilarious.  Above all, Gifted Hands was interesting.  There were no scenes that made me think - "Well, this boring.  I should skip it the next time I watch it".  One thing I really liked was that Ben Carson loves classical music (like me) and he plays it while he does surgeries :)

The movie bounces back and forth a bit - it starts with a couple asking Ben to perform surgery on their baby twins who are joined at the head, then it goes back to him as a child and stays there most of the film and then bounces forward to the present where he performs the surgery.  That part was nail-bitingly tense because they were under heavy time constraints.  Oh, and I knew the piece of music that was playing during that particular operation, so that was neat :)


This is a rather short review but, please, go watch this movie (it's available on Youtube).  It's clean, fast-paced, not too long (you could probably watch it in one sitting) and it's an amazing Christian movie.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked this movie quite a bit when I watched it three or four years ago. It's amazing what Ben Carson managed to accomplish even though he faced many challenges in his life, especially during his childhood. Have you read the book about him (also called Gifted Hands) co-authored by Ben Carson and Cecil Murphey? In my opinion, the book is even better than the movie. True stories like this one are so encouraging.

Eva said...

No, I haven't read the book. I should probably look it up, though, seeing as I liked the movie so much (and aren't books *always* better than the films?)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...