Search This Blog

Friday, June 28, 2013

Just Things...


A few random things that I decided to cram together in one post...
  • I watched Courageous today!  Yay!  I've been wanting to watch it for over a year, and about a month ago, one of our church members gave us a copy.  It was so. good.  Loved the story, the characters, the action scenes, funny scenes and, last but certainly not least, the tearjerking scenes.  It's the fourth movie I can tick off my 'to watch' list - the other three that I've already watched are Tangled, War Horse and Les Miserables (2012).  The next ones are The Confession (based on the book by Beverly Lewis), Fireproof, October Baby, The Blind Side, The Scarlet Pimpernel (the version) and The King's Speech.  That a lot of movies.
  • Speaking of movies, I'm really hoping that I can watch Scaramouche (1952) sometime soon and review it - it's a little known period drama but I love it.  Especially since it's set in France just before the revolution (*wink*)
  • I've been reading a lot lately (so what else is new?) and I'm planning on doing a post soon with mini-reviews of all of Jane Austen's novels.  I bought a gorgeous hard cover copy of Lady Vernon and Her Daughter (a re-telling of Jane Austen's Lady Susan) at the library (their discarded books table) for only one dollar (who lets great books go at such a low price?!) - I was thrilled :)  It's a bit slow but I still really like it.  Even though it messes with my mind (making Lady Susan good and her brother-in-law bad, etc, etc).  Oh, my dad loaned me his copy of War & Peace.  It's HUGE.
  • I've watched Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (the one with Dick Van Dyke) several times (that's what having younger sibs will do to you) and I do like most of the songs (rather childish, though...) but I'd never really listened to the soundtrack, Original London Cast Recording, etc.  But.  I was on Youtube a couple of nights ago and I decided to look up the original recording because I was bored (you know how that goes).  I found it and I clicked on Hushabye Mountain at random.  Intro music came on and then the singing started.  Me: "Waiiiiiit a sec...I know who that is!"  And I'm not going to tell you who it was.  Just go listen to it.  You'll know right away (at least if you're a Les Mis fan - and if you're not, just comment and ask).
  • And while we're on the subject of musicals...there are really only four that I truly like.  Les Miserables (obviously!), A Tale of Two Cities, The Scarlet Pimpernel (okay, I actually only like two songs out of the whole thing but, hey, they're amazing songs) and Oliver! (Samantha Barks is brilliant as Nancy, I'm telling you).  And, funny coincidence, they're all based on classic books :)  Those kinds of musicals are really the best.  Although there are some musicals based on books that go a little too far, in my opinion.  Like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.  Seriously?  How can you make a musical out of that?
  • I think I'm experiencing burn-out from writing so much of my novel so fast and I've been dragging my feet about it over the past few days.  However, I got an idea for a short story today and I think I'm going to write it.  Since it's a short story, I don't have to worry too much about plot bunnies and it'll probably rejuvenate me :)




10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eva, I loved Courageous!! I've watched Tangled, War Horse, Les Misérables (Of Course), Fireproof, The Blind Side, and October Baby. You have a great list here, all the ones I've seen are so touching. Fireproof is good for struggling married couples, Courageous is really good for dads, and October Baby is just really good. My dad has seen the King's Speech, but I haven't. All I know is that it's really good, and Helena Bonham Carter (Madame Thenardier Les Miz 2012) stars in it, cool huh? Have you seen Faing the Giants? If you have awesome, if not, maybe you should add that to your super long list. It's by the same people who have made Fireproof and Courageous.
~ Hannah S.

Bethy said...

Phantom Of The Opera is based of a classic book! Although, I'm not sure how close it is to the original story.
I really don't know the story of Jekyll and Hyde, but I love some of the songs from the musical. "In His Eyes" is a particular favourite.
What about "vintage" musicals? My Fair Lady (one of my absolute favourites), West Side Story, King and I, Sound Of Music, Oklahoma?
They really can't be compared to the brilliant-ness of Les Mis (though really, what can!?) but they are still great!
Beth xxx
P.S I also love Annie! That's another fantastic musical!

Eva said...

@Hannah - I've heard a *lot* of good things about The King's Speech and really the only thing holding me back from watching it is the language :( I'll just have to wait until we get a filter (if we ever do). I didn't put Facing the Giants on my list (although I do want to see it) because it was given to us along with Courageous so we're probably going to watch it soon :)

@Bethy - I hate leaving POTO off my list because I'm such a musical geek, but my mom won't let me watch/read it. Oh, well. I do like the older musicals (The King & I is one of my all-time favorites) but I don't *love* them the way I do Les Mis, AToTC, etc :)

Anonymous said...

If your mom ever lets you watch POTO, it's pretty close to the book. Except the 25th Anniversary at The Royal Albert Hall. But this one is definitely an exception to the rules. I loved it, and got my little sisters hooked onto it. DO NOT watch the movie. My mom and my dad did after watching a good version on tv, and going to one i believe live, but the movie they didn't like. They ended up getting rid of it, so that should tell a lot :). What did you like better; War Horse or Courageous?

~Hannah S.

Eva said...

Yeah, I've heard a lot of bad things about the POTO film. Did you know that Anne Hathaway was offered the role of Christine in the film but she had to turn it down because of the Princess Diaries' scheduling. Just think how differently it would have turned out!

As to your question...while War Horse is amazing, I would have to go with Courageous. It's such an epic film :)

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I like War Horse or Courageous better. Probably Courageous. Yeah, and to make things funnier, Hugh Jackman was offered the role of Erik (The Phantom). I knew about Anne and Hugh and I was like "What? Geez, that's a coincidence!"

~Hannah S.

Eva said...

Okay, if they both had accepted the roles it would have made the movie so. much. better., right? And if they had and I had watched it, it probably would have sort of grounded my belief in a Fantine/Valjean ship ;)

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes indeed. Hehehe. I should post some of my favorite ships on my blog. But Anne and Hugh would have made a big difference to POTO.

~Hannah S.

Beth Claire said...

Personally I love the POTO movie!
The singing is a bit "different" but not necessarily bad. I really like the Christine. I just definitely prefer Sierra.
I hope you get to see it soon!
Beth xxx

Anonymous said...

Yay!! I love Courageous. Such a good movie. : ) OOH! I've seen all of the other movies on your list except for The King's Speech and The Confession, and they're all good. Especially October Baby, which is my favorite Christian indie film EVAH. Over Courageous. *nods* It's that good.

Ooh, I love Scaramouche! I haven't seen it in a few years, though, so I'd love to read your review!

On that version of Hushabye Mountain - GAH!!! Sing to me, Angel of Music..... : )

Yes. Write the short story. It'll help your other writing. Just as long as you keep writing every day, you'll be fine. : )

-Eowyn-

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...