Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

30 Songs {#29}


Oliver! (the movie musical) is one of my family's favorite movies to watch together (although we haven't for some time) and Who Will Buy? is probably my favorite song in the entire film.  I've always loved the big ensemble numbers in musicals and this one is probably the biggest in the whole musical.  It starts out with only one person singing ("Who will buy my sweet red roses?  Two blooms for a penny.") and gradually builds up to everyone singing.

There'll never be a day so sunny,
It could not happen twice.
Where is the man with all the money?
It's cheap at half the price! 

Who will buy
Who will buy
This wonderful feeling?
I'm so high
I swear I could fly.
Me, oh my!
I don't want to lose it
So what am I to do
To keep the sky so blue? 
There must be someone who will buy!

It's a fun song and I like singing it (or at least Oliver's part) because it's a very easy soprano bit and I love singing soprano (way better than alto, even though I can do that better).  I've only listened/watched the film's version, but I'll probably try the Original Broadway Cast Recording sometime soon (don't you just love original cast recordings?).

Have you ever seen Oliver?  What's your favorite song from the musical?

3 comments:

Beth Claire said...

I love this song!
The first part is particularly pretty.
I need to watch Oliver again.

Miss Jane Bennet said...

I've never seen Oliver- the book was too creepy. I listened to this song though- I love those giant buildups too. :)

Katelyn said...

Yes, I have seen a local production of Oliver! (my friend was playing Oliver). Personally, I like "I'd Do Anything". I just think it's so catchy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...