Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

30 Songs {#30}


A lot of Les Miserables fans hate this song and honestly, I have no idea why.  It's a gorgeous, sad song and one that perfectly fits just before Empty Chairs at Empty Tables.  However, I never really got the point of the song until I watched the movie.  And then I saw what the women were doing (cleaning the blood off the streets) and understood the song better even though it was so short.  Seriously, the movie version was only - what? - five lines long?  They changed a few lyrics though, too make it more heartbreaking.

Did you see them going off to fight?
Children of the barricade who didn't last the night.
Did you see them lying where they died?
Someone used to cradle them and kiss them when they cried.
Did you see them lying side by side?

Random fact - for the longest time, a lot of people thought that Enjolras' body was in a cart behind the Turning women (in the movie).  It was eventually found to just be National Guard bodies but it was pretty heartbreaking to think of that.  Although I've heard that in the current US Tour, they actually do have Enjolras and Gavroche's bodies in a cart after the final battle.  I just hope they don't do that when/if I go to see the show live.

Do you think Turning should have gotten a higher rating?  What are your thoughts?

4 comments:

Beth Claire said...

I do like this song! I think it has some very great lyrics.

Miss Jane Bennet said...

I like Turning. I definitely wouldn't say that it's my favorite, but it's definitely a moving song. I didn't get what they were supposed to be doing until the movie either...so sad!
I heard that they filmed a scene where Javert is looking over the dead after the battle. They put that part in the movie, but Enjolras is still hanging out the window and Javert walks right up to him in the full scene. I'm kind of glad that they didn't put that in...I was crying hard enough already.
By the way, I'd just like to express my appreciation for Barricade Boys Week- it got me interested in Les Miserables in the first place. So, thank you so much. :)

Hope you get to go to Les Mis! :)

Eva said...

Aw, I'm so glad that I got you interested in Les Mis. It's pretty epic, isn't it? ;)

Miss Jane Bennet said...

YES. Yes yes yes. :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...