Search This Blog

Saturday, August 31, 2013

30 Songs {#17}


This song is one of the saddest songs in Les Miserables (and that's saying a lot).  Marius, who was once so caught up in the cause (at least in the musical - in the book, he just goes to barricades to die because he can't marry Cosette), has had all his friends killed by the National Guards and, thanks to some guy that he doesn't even know the identity of, he survived.  Hence, this song.  I never really cried during this song (as in sobbed), until I watched the film.  Eddie Redmayne puts so much passionate heartbreak and despair into this song...in my opinion, it's the only song in the movie that rivals I Dreamed A Dream in terms of raw emotion.

From the table in the corner,
They could see a world reborn.
And they rose with voices ringing,
And I can hear them now.
The very words that they had sung,
Became their last communion.
On this lonely barricade,
At dawn.

I can never decide whose version of the song I like best (Michael Ball vs. Eddie Redmayne) because they're both so good.  I kind of wish that the ghosts of Marius' friends' had come back in the film, but it was not to be :(  Of course, the best 'ghosts-of-the-barricade-boys-returning' moment is in the 25th ;) but since Nick Jonas was Marius (although that song was his best moment, IMO), is sort of ruins it.

What is your favorite version of this song?

1 comment:

Miss Jane Bennet said...

I'm back...I agree that Nick Jonas did a reasonable job with ECaET. He wasn't as good as Michael Ball, but who is? Besides Ramin Karimloo. :D
Anyway, love this song. I wish that the ghosts had come back too, but I'm not sure that I could have handled that. I personally prefer MB's version, but ER did a really good job too. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...