Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

30 Songs {#23}

I had heard about the musical Newsies before but the premise didn't really interest me (not that I really tried to be interested) so I basically ignored it - even when people started comparing the barricade boys to the news boys (which I don't agree with although I can see where they would get the idea).  Then, I was talking to one of my friends about different musicals (other than Les Miserables) that we've heard of/watched and she mentioned Newsies.  She sent me a link to the Wikipedia article on what the musical was based on and and to a couple of the songs on Youtube (the Disney version).
The song that really stuck out to me was Seize the Day mostly because it reminded me of why I love old movie musicals so much.  Lots of color, action, fun lyrics and great singing (I still can't get over the fact that all the old musicals were lip-synced.  It's so hard to tell!).
Now is the time to seize the day.
Send out the call and join the fray .
Wrongs will be righted,
If we're united. 
Let us seize the day.

Friends of the friendless, seize the day.
Raise up the torch and light the way.
Proud and defiant,
We'll slay the giant.
Let us seize the day.

I listen to this song quite a bit.  I love the rhythm of it and it always makes me smile.
Have you listened to any more songs from Newsies?  Do you think that there is a good parrellel between the news boys and barricade boys?

7 comments:

Miss Jane Bennet said...

My sentiments were pretty much the same as yours on the subject of Newsies...I'll have to watch it. I like the song. :)

Miss Jane Bennet said...

OK now I read the article and I can see some parallels between the barricade boys and the Newsies ; did they die though? It's like the juvenile version of Les Amis...

Anonymous said...

Yes!!!! I love the Newsies. I've seen the old Disney movie and love it!!! I love the song King of New York. There are also songs like Seize the Day, The World Will Know, and more. And yes, about the Newsies and Barricade Boys. They all are strong together and work well. Well, at least Enjolras didn't betray the group for a while like Cowboy (Jack Kelly) did. But other than that, brilliant!!
~Hannah S.

Eva said...

I don't think they did die - I'll probably be doing some more research on the whole thing when I get some time later on.

Anonymous said...

@Miss Jane Bennet, I don't think they died. At least in the movie they didn't.
~Hannah S.

Samantha S. said...

I am in love with Newsies. No, they didn't really die in the movie. The real strike was a partial failure and was led by Kid Blink, who had only one eye. Jack Kelly (Christian Bale) isn't real. Racetrack Higgins (who sings "King of New York" is though.

Personally, I like Newsies better than the Barricade Boys. But hey, I'm a history-nerd and a HUGE Newsie fan.

Anonymous said...

This is a really good movie! Have you seen it yet? Definitely not THE best Disney movie ever, and it majorly flopped in theaters (but has since gained an almost cultish following, like, ten years after its release...). There's some language, but, all in all, it's a good movie. The music is absolutely amazing, too. If you like Seize the Day, you'd love the chorale version! It's the second song in this list - http://grooveshark.com/#!/search/song?q=Newsies%20Seize%20The%20Day%20(Chorale). : )

And, yes, I can see some parallels between the newsies and the Les Amis, but... not really. ; )

-Eowyn-

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...