Search This Blog

Monday, August 12, 2013

30 Songs {#24}


Though you may think it a tad macabre to have Javert's Suicide on my list of favorite songs, you simply can't have Les Mis songs on your list and not have at least one 'death song' (just so you know, the Epilogue and A Little Fall of Rain are also on this list).  And this song is beautiful.  In a tragic sort of way.  I watched a Les Mis cast interview a few days ago and Anne Hathaway said that the power and poetry of the lyrics in Javert's Suicide really spoke to her.  The lines she used for an example were...

I am reaching,
But I fall.
And the stars are black and cold.
As I stare into the void,
Of a world that cannot hold.

When I watched Les Mis for the first time (the 10th, you know), I didn't understand the story one little bit and I didn't even really understand that Javert committed suicide (I didn't know any of them had died except Eponine).  But I figured it out after a while, of course.  My favorite version of this song is Norm Lewis' (surprising, really, since he's my least favorite Javert), followed by Russell Crowe (his version was the first that made me really cry) with Phillip Quast at the bottom (sorry, guys).

Is Javert's Suicide one of your favorite or least favorite Les Mis songs?

2 comments:

Miss Jane Bennet said...

I listened to the CSR first, so I understood a bit more of what was going on- I didn't really 'get' it until I read the brick, but I understood that everybody dies. :D
...Well, almost everybody.
Anyway, I do like this song- it's so heartbreaking and shows a more vulnerable side of Javert. In my opinion, though, Philip Quast is the best overall and the best in that song. Russell Crowe ties with Norm Lewis, but Phillip Quast made me cry without even trying. I mean, he tried, but...you know what I mean. :D

Katelyn said...

Definitely one of my faves... although you get quite a few stares when you sing this song in public. :/
It's unfortunate that the movie version of this song is inappropriate for kids (when Javert hits the water...) so I am unable to show this scene to my younger siblings. :( Russel Crowe did a good job on that song!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...