Search This Blog

Thursday, August 08, 2013

30 Songs {#25}

I love this song (well, I love all the songs in this series, but...).  I think one of the reasons I like it so much is because it's set to the tune of One Day More (or, rather, ODM is set to the tune of Who Am I?).  It's the reason I like Valjean's Confession, as well - whenever I hear those opening notes spilling out, I always get chills.  And the lyrics are beautiful.  I think the songwriters did an excellent job of taking all the pages in the brick about Valjean's dilemma and condensing them into one song.
How can I ever face my fellow men?
How can I ever face myself again?
My soul belongs to God, I know,
I made that bargain long ago.
He gave me hope when hope was gone,
He gave me strength to journey on.
Who am I?
Who am I?
I'm Jean Valjean!

The film is my favorite version of this song.  I think Hugh Jackman captured the character of Valjean very well through the whole movie but especially in this scene.  It always brings tears to my eyes and I really do like his different take on the song (except for the whispered 'I'm Jean Valjean').  And if there are some of you who prefer a more traditional version, go watch the 10th's.  It's amazing too.
What is your opinion of Hugh Jackman's Who Am I?  What Les Mis melodies are your favorites?

2 comments:

Miss Jane Bennet said...

I love this song- you may find that this is true for all Les Mis songs...but anyway. I do enjoy Hugh Jackman's take on it- I think the letters he kissed were from the Bishop. His and Colm Wilkinson's performances about tie. :)

Katelyn said...

The tune to this song is so touching! My favorite lines from "Who Am I" is definitely

"My soul belongs to God, I know,
I made that bargain long ago.
He gave me hope when hope was gone,
He gave me strength to journey on."

I love how Valjean is trying his best to trust in God in his struggles in life, even though it's confusing! Although Hugh Jackman's version is great, I think I like the Original London version!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...