Search This Blog

Saturday, September 14, 2013

30 Songs {#14}


Do You Hear The People Sing? has often been called the theme song of Les Miserables, and for good reason.  Both the original song and the reprise perfectly sum up everything that Les Mis stands for.  While I prefer the reprise of this song to the original (just slightly, though), I'm focusing more on the first version today.  It's a beautiful, spirited song in its own right and it sends me into major chills whenever I hear any version of it.  The film version is really the best.  Since Amy just about summed up my thoughts perfectly in her review, I'll post a bit of what she said here.
That version of the song is my favorite now, though, and I say that without reservation.  The way it begins so softly--revolution starts with a whisper, you know--and then builds and builds until the whole street--the whole city, it seems--is swept up in the people's song.  Oh, and having Javert show up and save Courfeyrac's life is pretty cool. 
And just because I've been putting up lyrics for every other song, I'll just write my favorite verse of the song here and it's counterpart in the finale (yes, I can do it from memory)...

Will you give all you can give so that our banner may advance?
Some will fall and some will live,
Will you stand up and take your chance?
The blood of the martyrs will water the meadows of France.
~
They will live again in freedom in the garden of the Lord,
They will walk behind the plowshare,
They will put away the sword,
The chain will be broken and all men will have their reward.

Now go read Isaiah 2:4.

What's your favorite version of this song?  Do you think it deserves to be called the theme song of Les Mis?

3 comments:

Miss Jane Bennet said...

GORGEOUS, GORGEOUS, GORGEOUS. I agree with you and Amy, and that's about all I can say 'cause you summed it up so perfectly.
I think it is ind of the theme song of Les Mis, but I don't think Les Mis can really have one "theme song" because it's just so huge.

Anonymous said...

Gah! I love this song! There is definitely a reason that it is called the theme song. I love the movie version the best.
~Hannah S.

Jemimah said...

I just re-watched Les Miserables the film yesterday, and yes, I completely understand what you mean when you say the song gives you chills. It's just so powerful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...