Search This Blog

Monday, September 23, 2013

Celebrate Musicals Week: Tag

Yet Another Period Drama Blog

Amy is hosting a Celebrate Musicals Week over at her blog, and naturally, I had to participate.  The way it all works is - you pick the musical that you're going to focus on during the week, and then write posts about that musical all week long.  Amy suggested writing your posts ahead of time and scheduling them, and so that's what I did.  I have a post for every day of the week, except for today, because I knew there was going to be a tag.  Here are my answers to her tag questions.

First Official Les Miserables Poster Pays Homage to the Iconic Stage Musical’s

1.  What musical did you pick to "spotlight" this week and why?  LES MISERABLES.  No big surprise there.  I chose to focus on Les Mis this week because it's the musical I'm mainly obsessed with, which means that I've listened to all the cast recordings (not all in their entirety, but I've listened to at least one song from each - most of the times more), watched almost all of the different versions/adaptions (including non-musical ones) and just generally know a lot about it.  And it's gorgeous.  The End.
2.  How did you discover the musical you picked (hereinafter referred to as "your musical")?  Well, I first heard about Les Mis in 2009 when Susan Boyle stunned the world with her rendition of I Dreamed A Dream (frankly, I don't care much for her version, but she does have a great voice) and later on when Jamie Pugh sang Bring Him Home in Britian's Got Talent.  Then, in June of 2012, Petie and Amy hosted their Les Mis Comparison Week, and I persuaded my mom to let me watch the TAC.  I then devoured the book, the 25th, the movie, etc, etc.  It was crazily fun.

Les Mis (2012) | 'Do You Hear the People Sing?' Poster.

3.  If you had to pick three favorite songs from your musical, which ones would they be?  Three favorites?  Only three???  Very well.  Stars, Drink With Me, and...and...Do You Hear The People Sing? (reprise)  Those are my top three but I have tons of other favorites.  Basically every song in the musical is my favorite.
4.  What's your least favorite song from your musical?  Not counting LL and MOTH, since I never listen to those anyway, it would definitely be Dog Eats Dog.  To me, it is totally not Les Mis, and it's just really weird, depressing and...weird.  Especially the 25th version with those creepy green lights and all the fog.  I'm so glad it was cut out of the film (the only cut I'm happy with, really).
5.  Who are your favorite characters (choose up to three)?  Enjolras, all the barricade boys, and Eponine.  Followed very closely by Javert, Valjean and Cosette.  With Marius and Fantine bringing up the rear.  I guess this is rather hopeless...
6.  Which versions of your musical have you seen/listened to, and which is your favorite?  10th, 25th, movie and countless highschool productions.  The TAC wins hands down and my reasons for this will be explained more fully tomorrow.
7.   Is this your favorite musical of all time?  If not, what is?  Yup.  Les Miserables is definitely my favorite musical ever.
8.   Which cast album/musical soundtrack in your collection do you listen to the most?  Hmmmm...well, that depends on what you mean by collection.  If it means actual CDs, it would be the LM 2012 soundtrack.  On my iPod, it would probably be The Sound of Music soundtrack.  I absolutely love those songs.

Cosette's wedding dress, Les Miserables, 2012

9.   What is your favorite costume from your musical?  I really, really love Cosette's wedding dress in both the 25th and the movie.  It's so beautiful and elegant.  I also wouldn't mind wearing Eponine's costume(s).  Oh, and don't forget...ZE RED VEST OF POWER AND AWESOMENESS.  Also The Jacket.  But mostly the RVoP&A.
10.  If you could change anything about your musical, what would you change?  Cut Master of the House (Lovely Ladies is sort of vital to the plot, if you think about it), and give Enjolras a solo.  I mean, even Thenardier has a solo, so why not Enjolras?
11.  Which role(s) would you most like to play in any musical, if you had the opportunity to do so on stage?  I'd really love to play Cosette, but even though I'm a soprano, I doubt I could do her role justice in the vocal department.  Eponine is, of course, another huge favorite, but in terms of vocal ability (A Little Fall of Rain is actually an incredibly hard song for me to sing), I'd pick Liesl from The Sound of Music.  I love her solo and I think she'd be a great person to play. 
12.  If you could choose one performer to play any part in your musical, who would you choose and which part would you have them play?  Oooooh...this is hard.  I think Eddie Redmayne would make an amazing Charles Darnay in the A Tale of Two Cities musical.  Much better than the guy who played/sang the part in the concert, in my opinion.  And on the same note, I think with a little more voice training, Amanda Seyfried would be a fantastic Lucie.

Yeah boy! It's that time of year again. Can't wait!

13.  Do you consider yourself a musical theatre fan in general or do you just like a few musicals?  Well, I'd consider myself a fan in general, even though I've only watched a relatively few amount of musicals, because I've listened to several songs from other musicals and loved them, even if I've not watched the musicals themselves.  I think this would be a good time to list the musicals I have watched/loved - Les Miserables (duh!), A Tale of Two Cities, The Scarlet Pimpernel, Fiddler on the Roof, Oliver!, The Sound of Music, The King and I, Mary Poppins, Cinderella, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Singing in the Rain.  Ally recommended Miss Saigon to me a little while ago and I'm planning to watch that the next time I can find some time (a precious commodity, I'm quickly learning).
14.  Are you tired of the word "musical" yet?  No.  Definitely not.
15.  Turn your music playing device on shuffle (or utilize Pandora if you don't have one) and tell us the names of the first three show tunes that come up-- no cheating!  How do these rank on your favorites/most-listened-to list?  The musicals soundtracks I have on my iPod are the Les Mis movie, the Les Mis 25th Anniversary Cast Recording (not the concert at the O2), Oliver!, The Sound of Music and Fiddler on the Roof.  And here are the first three songs...My Favorite Things - I love this song.  I believe I have the whole thing memorized, and it's such fun to sing, the way the words just go together.  Definitely high on my favorite list.  On My Own (from the Les Mis movie) - another favorite!  The intro music to this song is gorgeous, and so are the vocals.  One Day More (from the Les Mis movie) - need I say anything?  It's not my favorite version of ODM, but definitely up there on the list.

Are you participating in Celebrate Musicals Week?  What did you think of my answers?

5 comments:

Miss Jane Bennet said...

Ooh, lovely, lovely answers. And your reaction to the favorite songs question was exactly the same as mine. "Only three??" :D

Sereina said...

I've never seen or listened to anything Les Mis (I know a bit about it though), but it was still fun reading through your answers!

Quinlyn said...

LOL! "The red vest of power and awesomeness" :D

Alexandra said...

Loved all the answers! :)

Miss Dashwood said...

Loved your answers! So glad you participated this week! :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...