Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

30 Songs {#1}


This was the one song that I never had any trouble placing.  As soon as I thought of doing this blog series, I knew One Day More would have to be first on the list.  Putting a solo at the top was never in the plan because even though there are some amazing solos in the musical theatre world, a big, epic ensemble number is needed to round out the blog series, in my opinion.  And no song captures the scope and epic sweep of Les Miserables better than One Day More.  All the characters (except Fantine) are out on stage, singing their hearts out about love and loss and barricades of freedom and what God has in store for them.  It makes me happy and sad at the same time.  Happy because the music is gorgeous, and the voices are so beautiful blended together, and sad because it really is a bittersweet song.  The barricade boys will die, Marius will never love Eponine back, and, eventually Javert and Valjean will both die.  Plus, One Day More is one of the only songs in Les Miserables that I can feel the emotion of each and every character singing clear as a bell, and it makes me cry.  It is truly a song of epic, grand, leave-you-speechless proportions.

Tomorrow we'll be far away.
Tomorrow is the judgement day.
Tomorrow we'll discover what our God in heaven has in store.
One more dawn.
One more day.
ONE DAY MORE!

The 10thAC owns this song.  The 25th is okay, but Nick Jonas sort of ruins the effect (especially with 'My place is here, I fight with you' where he doesn't hold the note out and leaves the cast just hanging there for half a second).  And the movie...well, in my opinion, the movie version falls kind of flat.  The quieter voices worked fine for most of the other songs, but One Day More is a song that needs strong voices that can sing loudly, and sing well.  Another thing I think ruined the movie's effect was the fact that the cast weren't all standing together singing.  I know it wouldn't have worked in the movie format, but still (just check out the Oscars' version - it's even better than the movie, even though they're not all in character).  So, yes, the 10th is my favorite version.  Completely spectacular.
________________

Now, I want to list the songs that didn't make it into the 30 Songs post series - and they weren't included just because I didn't have room to fit them all in.  Most of them rank very high on my list of favorite songs, so I wanted to give them a little spotlight right here.  Click on the titles to watch or listen to the song (except for the first one, which I can't find on Youtube anyway.  Trust me, it's a gorgeous song).
What did you think of the 30 Songs post series?  What are some of your favorite songs?  Do you have any suggestion to add to my list?

4 comments:

Miss Jane Bennet said...

Aha! So it IS ODM...haha, just kidding, I had no idea what your #1 song was going to be. But ODM is just so perfect and simply amazing and sweeping...you said it perfectly. :)
I love that they show more of the context of ODM in the movie, but I do agree that the effect is more...effectual...if everyone's singing together. And the TAC of course owns this song. (Although the Oscars just blew me away.)
I haven't heard *all* of the songs on your runner-up list, but the ones I have heard I love.
I thought this was a great series! I'm thinking of doing one myself sometime. Let's see...I think you covered all of my favorite songs, so no suggestions there. ;)
Loved this 30 Songs program! :)

Renee Ferre said...

That's so great! I love your list. It's awesome. I got into the A Tale of Two Cities Musical because of it! It's one of my favourite books, and until this, I never even KNEW there was a musical. The songs are so gorgeous.

Beth Claire said...

Ah! I Love this song!
Sadly I am yet to the the 10th concert, but I'm really keen. I've heard so many good things about it!
This has been a great series, I don't know how managed to rate all your songs.....I would find it impossible.

Jennifer said...

Great, great series. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
I was crying from the first moment of watching ODM...such an incredible song.
I really like "Miracle of Miracles" from Fiddler on the Roof.
I'm thinking about doing a song series on my blog - you inspired me. ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...