Search This Blog

Friday, October 04, 2013

30 Songs {#11}


The first time I listened to this song, my impression was that it was an angry song.  Forget DYHTPS?, Until Tomorrow, or even AtEotD.  This song perfectly describes the mood and sentiments of the peasants before (and during) the French Revolution, and even if it is a bit morbid, I still really enjoy listening to it.  Mostly because the words and the orchestration is so so strong and just...chills worthy (and I do get chills every. single. time.)  I think the chorus is especially vengeful.

Sing, swing, savour the sting,
As she severs you,
Madame Guillotine.
Slice, come paradise,
You'll be smitten with Madame Guillotine.

I've only listened to the Broadway Cast Recording version of this song (the one above), but I also watched a German version - it was incredibly freaky, even a bit disturbing, although that could just be my personal opinion.  Chauvelin seemed even more angry (if that's possible), and the peasants were doing this weird ballet around the the guillotine.  Anyway...this song is definitely in my most-listened-to list.  I highly recommend it to any musical theatre fans (not the musical itself though - from what I've heard, it's a terrible adaption of the book).

Have you listened to any other recording of this song?

2 comments:

Peregrin said...

Wow! I've always loved TSP, and I've heard of the musical, but I've never listened to it. I found that song rather addicting, actually, even though the lyrics are just... *shudders*. Thanks! :)

Miss Jane Bennet said...

Agh. This song is so disturbing and angry...it gives me chills every time. You summed it up perfectly. (And by the way, I find it rather funny that AtEotD has "At" as its first two initials and "At as its first word. :))
I haven't seen the whole musical, and I've only listened to this song once, but it's definitely a very powerful representation of the French Revolution.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...