Search This Blog

Saturday, November 23, 2013

That Post About Movies

Books vs Movies

My last post was about how I categorize the books I read (or don't read) and since I love movies almost as much as books and a couple of people asked for this post, so here I am.  Before I begin with the categorizing, let me tell you what I like (and don't like) in movies.  For me, a good movie has to have at least one of three things (and preferably all three) - awesome music, amazing acting, and an interesting plot.  I don't mind sitting through a three hour movie if it can hold my interest.  Bad acting is the bane of movies, and bad music is even worse.  Oh, and if the movie's based on a book, I want it to be extremely accurate.  Now to the categories (trash, meh, good, great, and soul).
  • Trash - Trashy movies are the ones I don't watch.  Twilight, Harry Potter, Titanic, etc., etc.  Now, some movies that I've watched can be called trash, just from a purely technical point of view.  One that quickly comes to mind is 'The Battle Of Blood Island'.  It's one of those twenty-five dollar budget movies and has become a standard in our house for terrible movies.  Another one I can think of is a 'Christian' film called 'White Wolves II' about teens who are stranded in the wilderness.  Horrible acting, terrible music, and a poorly done job all around.
  • Meh - These are the 'watch once, never again' movies, usually because they're boring/bad acting (although I've watched many meh movies more than once).  Several b&w 40's films which shall remain nameless are on the list, as well as some more modern ones (the 70's version of 'Les Miserables', 'Hugo'...).  Meh movies don't necessarily have bad acting or music (it's usually the plot that's the worst thing) but they usually leave me with the feeling of 'well watching that was a waste of time - now what?'  One of the things I do like about them is that my siblings and I can bash them in the evenings when we sit in the living room and talk.  It makes for great discussion.
  • Good - Interesting movies with medium-good music (most of the time) and okay acting.  These movies are usually what I watch with my siblings and include pretty much any cartoon I've ever seen, all the 'Air Bud' movies (they're as cheesy as dog/boy/stupid villain movies can get, but the music's amazing which covers a multitude of movie making sins, IMO), and some movie musicals like 'The Sound Of Music', 'Singing In The Rain', and 'The King And I'.  I like watching good movies, even though they can get boring after several viewings.
  • Great - It's kind of hard to think of 'great' movies because, in my head, the movie categories basically jump from 'good' to 'soul', but I'm sure I can think of something.  Okay...'Les Miserables (25thAC)', 'BBC Robin Hood', almost any Jane Austen movie/miniseries, 'Bleak House (2005)' and other movies of the same sort.  And I have quite a few soul movies, so I'll be moving on...
  • Soul - 'Les Miserables (TAC and movie)', 'Little Dorrit (2008)', both of the Anne movies, 'War Horse', 'A Bear Called Winnie', 'Stalag 17' (hmmm...I must have a thing for war movies), 'North and South', 'A Tale of Two Cities (concert)'...the list really could go on and on, but those are the main ones.  I love them all so much.  I'd watch any of them anytime, anywhere.
What are some of your favorite movies?

3 comments:

Miss Jane Bennet said...

You sorted these out pretty much perfectly! I agree with your distinctions. There really isn't much between Great and Soul, because movies that last so long have to be something special. The books that are Great but not Soul would probably be the lighter, more humorous ones. :)
Great post! :)

Miss Jane Bennet said...

And btw, I tagged you. It's here:
http://regencynovel.blogspot.com/2013/11/ive-been-tagged.html
It's a pretty fun tag, IMO. :)

Kiri Liz said...

I totally agree with you about Hugo being in the Meh category! The music was really pretty, but the story.... was there a point?

Hmm... yup, yup. Little Dorrit, War Horse, North and South... definitely soul movies.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...