Search This Blog

Friday, January 31, 2014

30 Songs {#29}

Laura Osnes as Cinderella and Santino Fontana as the Prince in “Rodgers + Hammerstein’s Cinderella” -- Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
My blog isn't letting me embed videos at all, so here's the link to the song.
Sooooo...I just finished watching the last episode of Laura Osnes' vlogs of her experiences backstage playing Cinderella (I haven't watched all the others, but I'm going to do so as soon as possible), so I'm pretty emotional right now.  It was so sweet and happy, but sad at the same time.  I really did love it (except for Herman the fish dying - totally wasn't expecting that).  And that really doesn't have anything to do with this post, but I felt I had to tell someone and post document, or whatever you call it, was already open for this post, so... (and I think I just over-explained that).  Anyway...

A lot of people view 'Do I Love You Because You're Beautiful?' as Cinderella and Prince Topher's ultimate love song (some even rank it above 'Ten Minutes Ago'), but it some ways, I just can't see why.  In my opinion, their songs are ranked as follows - 'Ten Minutes Ago', 'The Loneliness of Evening' (these two are actually tied) and then 'Do I Love You Because You're Beautiful?'.  That's not to say I don't like 'DILYBYB?', but it's such a short song (and, in my opinion, doesn't really have that pretty of a tune) that it isn't all that memorable.  But I do love it, for the simple reason that it deepens their relationship, by showing that it wasn't just physical attraction that drew them to each other (that's one of the biggest things I like about the Broadway production - it fleshes out everything so well).

Do I love you
Because you’re beautiful,
Or are you beautiful
Because I love you?
 Am I making believe I see in you
A girl too lovely to
Be really true?
 Are you the sweet invention of a lover’s dream?

Or are you really as beautiful as you seem?

I think most of these songs will have the disclaimer that I've only heard one rendition, so I'll just say it now and be done with it.  I'm sure I'll be able to listen to other versions, but I think Laura Osnes and Santino Fontana (picture above, of course) are the best Cinderella and Prince Topher and will always be the best.  Forever and always, the end.

What are your thoughts on this song as being the ultimate Cinderella love song?

4 comments:

Miss Jane Bennet said...

*siiiigh* This song is really romantic, and I agree--I love how it shows that they aren't just physically attracted to each other. "Ten Minutes Ago" is my personal favorite of their songs, with "The Loneliness of Evening" very close behind.
Oh, and that picture...GORGEOUSNESS.

Hayden said...

I'd rate them the same as you- I adore Ten Minutes Ago and always have, and I didn't hear Loneliness of Evening until just recently when I bought the cd, but it instantly became a favorite. I actually never liked Do I Love You Because You're Beautiful? when I was younger- I thought it was boring. Now i appreciate the lyrics and like it, though- just not as much as the other two.

I need to watch those backstage videos! I've heard a lot about them ;)

Miss Dashwood said...

AAAACK SPOILER ALERT I HADN'T FINISHED THE PRINCESS DIARIES!!!!!!

HERMAN *DIES*?!?!?!?!?! NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Sighhhhhh.

Anyways... I like Ten Minutes Ago better than DILYBYB? Just because it seems to drag out less, haha. Not that I dislike DILYBYB but it seems to go on and on for a long time and I tend to get bored. Which is odd because it's not really that long of a song. The sentiments are really sweet though... but all in all I think I prefer Ten Minutes Ago.

Caroline L. said...

I agree with everything here. *Misses Laura and Santino and Herman* *emotional* *swoons over song lyrics*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...