Search This Blog

Saturday, January 11, 2014

A Very Special Anniversary

The Scarlet Pimpernel flower.

A year ago today, at three-thirty in the morning, I set down my Kindle, sniffled a little, and then tried to think about what I'd just read (it was three-thirty, so I didn't have much brain capacity right then).  All I could think was...wow.  See, I'd just finished reading The Scarlet Pimpernel and El Dorado.  I'd known about TSP for quite a while, but had put off reading it because a) I'd heard there was some swearing (funnily enough, the edition I got on Kindle 'bleeped' it out using the 'd-------' format) and b) everyone seemed to be crazy for Sir Percy, and I didn't like following fads like that (honestly, I was sick of everyone fangirling over him, for some odd reason).  But one night I was searching around for new reading material (I have to read something every night, or else I can't get to sleep), so I decided to take the plunge and download the book from the Amazon store.  El Dorado was also there, so I got that too (I'd heard from Ally that it was even better than the first book, so...).


As most of you probably know, the opening of TSP is a bit slow, but I was determined to stick it out, and by the time I got to the ball scene with all its tight nerves and intrigue I was entranced.  I read the whole thing in a breathless hurry and when I finished it was around twelve-thirty in the dead of night (or is that in the morning?).  I was obsessed already, and I didn't want to go from the world of Sir Percy and the French Revolution (and, anyway, Percy and Margurite had just reconciled and I wanted to see how their romance would go from there) so I said to myself "Ally says that El Dorado is really good, so I'll just read a couple of chapters and then go to sleep".  That was a joke.  I got completely caught up in the story (again!) and read it all in two hours flat.  And maybe it was the tiredness, but I spent about half the book in tears.  It was epic (*wink*).

I will always cry for Thorin, Fili and Kili. And Arthur. And John. And everyone else I love.

I finally went to sleep, but when I woke up later that morning, I went online and searched until I had ebooks of every single TSP book (even the very rare ones).  I read them all in less than a week, I believe.  Then I completely understood what everyone's obsession was - because I shared it - and I've never looked back (same with every other obsession I've ever had).  I've watched the old B&W version of the first book (I'm going to have to wait till I'm older to watch the 80's adaption - can't wait!).  I'm listening to the musical right now, for the first time, actually, and I'm re-reading El Dorado for the occasion :)  Now I'd better go off and read some more...

Eva

3 comments:

Plutonian Llama said...

Does that mean you have read the Laughing Cavalier and the first Sir Percy? I love those two :)

Oh, and happy anniversary!

Eva said...

Oh, no, I haven't read those :( I have read 'Pimpernel and Rosemary', though.

Miss Jane Bennet said...

Happy Anniversary! TSP is one of the best fandoms out there, yes? ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...