Search This Blog

Saturday, February 22, 2014

A Tale Of Two Cities Week: Book Quotes

A tale of two cities

So, here's a few book quotes that I think really illustrate the book's theme and style and all that.  You will not find the 'it was the best of times/worst of times' or 'it is a far, far better thing' quotes, simply because they are so overused (even though they are still amazing quotes) and I'm sure they'll be in other posts this week.  And without further ado, may I present...the quotes!

“Sadly, sadly, the sun rose; it rose upon no sadder sight than the man of good abilities and good emotions, incapable of their directed exercise, incapable of his own help and his own happiness, sensible of the blight on him, and resigning himself to let it eat him away.” 

“A day wasted on others is not wasted on one's self.” 

“Mr. Cruncher... always spoke of the year of our Lord as Anna Dominoes: apparently under the impression that the Christian era dated from the invention of a popular game, by a lady who had bestowed her name upon it. ” 

“The cloud of caring for nothing, which overshadowed him with such a fatal darkness, was very rarely pierced by the light within him.” 

“When they took a young man into Tellson's London house, they hid him somewhere till he was old. They kept him in a dark place, like a cheese, until he had the full Tellson flavour and blue-mould upon him. Then only was he permitted to be seen, spectacularly poring over large books, and casting his breeches and gaiters into the general weight of the establishment.” 

“Of little worth as life is when we misuse it, it is worth that effort. It would cost nothing to lay down if it were not.” 

“It is a long time,' repeated his wife; 'and when is it not a long time? Vengeance and retribution require a long time; it is the rule.'
'It does not take a long time to strike a man with Lightning,' said Defarge.
'How long,' demanded madame, composedly, 'does it take to make and store the lightning? Tell me?” 

“[...] Says it with his head on!" Mr. Stryver remarked upon the peculiarity as if it would have been infinitely less remarkable if he had said it with his head off.” 

"She had laid her head upon my shoulder, that night when I was summoned out--she had a fear of my going, though I had none--and when I was brought to the North Tower they found these upon my sleeve. 'You will leave me them? They can never help me to escape in the body, though they may in the spirit.' Those words I said. I remember them very well.'"

"I have sometimes sat alone here of an evening, listening, until I have made the echoes out to be the echoes of all the footsteps that are coming by and by into our lives."

“If I may ride with you, Citizen Evremonde, will you let me hold your hand? I am not afraid, but I am little and weak, and it will give me more courage." As the patient eyes were lifted to his face, he saw a sudden doubt in them, and then astonishment. He pressed the work-worn, hunger-worn young fingers, and touched his lips.
"Are you dying for him?" she whispered.
"And his wife and child. Hush! Yes."
"Oh, you will let me hold your brave hand, stranger?"
"Hush! Yes, my poor sister; to the last.” 

Eva

4 comments:

Miss Jane Bennet said...

*laughs* *sobs* LOVE ALL THESE QUOTES! Some are funny, and some are sad...but either way, Dickens had an AMAZING gift.

Gina said...

So many great quotes! Now I want to go back and add some to mine! :-)

Lydia said...

That last quote killed me inside! I wanted to curl up and cry! :)

Jennifer said...

Great selection - really caught the essence of the characters and the story.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...