Search This Blog

Friday, March 28, 2014

Life At The Moment

 

I feel like I haven't really written anything personal/updating-you-guys-on-what's-going-on-in-my-life lately, and I've been doing quite a few things lately that would fit well with this blog, so I've compiled it all together into a Grand & Glorious post chock-full of all the latest goings-on.  I have a lot of fun doing these posts, mainly because I get an excuse to jabber incoherently about my latest obsessions (*wink*). Without further ado... {this post will be picture and link heavy - just so you know}
 


 
The first order of business, the thing I'm most excited about at this moment, is the fact that Captain America: The Winter Soldier is coming out IN ONE WEEK.  April 4th, 2014.  I watched the first Cap movie around the time that the trailer for CA2 came out, so it's the second movie (after Les Miserables) that I've avidly followed the progress of.  I think I'm as excited for CA2 as I was for LM (which is definitely saying something).  Of course, I won't be able to see it until the DVD is released (I have no idea how I'm going to wait that long) but I can still get all excited.  And think about the questions that the trailers (trailer #2 is the best, in my opinion) and featurettes (the one about the origins of The Winter Soldier was epic) bring out.  The two biggest for me are: who dies (or fake dies?) and how does Hayley Atwell (as, I assume, Peggy Carter) fit into the plot?  We really need some emotional closure to Steve and Peggy's relationship, and I'm hoping TWS gives us that. 
 

I've watched the first two seasons of Downton Abbey, and now I don't know what to do.  Netflix only has those seasons, and it's exorbitantly expensive to buy the seasons from Target (or anywhere for that matter).  I just want to watch Season 3, because I heard of some Unfortunate Events that would probably make Season 4 a flop for me (I'm thinking BBC Robin Hood Season 3 - that kind of flop, and for the same reason).  Although...I'm not obsessed with the show like everyone else seems to be.  I like it.  I really, really do.  But not in the way of other period dramas like BBC Robin Hood or Little Dorrit.  I guess I was expecting more of...something because of how everyone loves it, and I was disappointed.  Just a little bit (the soundtrack is lovely, though - done by the same guy who did the music for Little Dorrit and Bleak House).  Anyway...
 
I've been indulging in several Calvin + Hobbes books I borrowed from the library...they're so great.
 
 I've been reading quite a lot lately - more than usual actually, because I'm recording every book I read (besides a few random little kids' books I pick up ever so often) on Goodreads.  I've read fifty-four books so far this year, and I'm in the middle of two right now (Pride & Prejudice and The Puritans).  Now, this system is really fun/helpful, but it has given rise to some guilt, because I'm reading more modern novels than classics (as opposed to last year, when I discovered Victor Hugo and Jane Austen and Charles Dickens).  I'm working on that, though.  But, honestly, some of the novels I've read recently are amazingI, Claudia, Embassy, Dear Mr Knightley, and Fly Away Home, to name a few.  I've also read Enna Burning and River Secrets by Shannon Hale.  One thing I've always liked about Shannon Hale's books is that even though it's fantasy, it isn't anything like spells or curses (more like Elsa's powers - natural ability).  But even though Enna Burning was no different, the scene were Enna and Isi were exchanging powers was just...weird.  It lowered the book down to three out of five stars on the Goodreads rating system.  And River Secrets was kinda boring, so I gave it three stars as well.  In my opinion, none of her books will beat Princess Academy (including The Goose Girl).
 
OH.  AND.  I've also recently read The Little Prince.  It's one of my new favorite books, although I don't understand why it was targeted to little children.  Sure, it's a fable, but it's so deep and emotional and just...just read it.
 
 
 And to nicely round out this post, I've chosen a few Pinterest funnies.  Enjoy!
 
 




 
 Eva

3 comments:

Miss Jane Bennet said...

I love these posts. =) Even though I already know most of it, it's still nice to hear all about your fandoms--and the funnies at the end? I hadn't seen the lightbulb one before, and it cracked me up. XD

inklingspress said...

CA:TWS!!!!!! Well, you know my thoughts on that matter - quite a few of them, actually. ; )

Introverts Assemble - lol, story of my liiiiife.

-Eowyn-

Anonymous said...

About Downton Abbey - I remember searching everywhere to find that since we didn't have Netflix. I eventually found a website with all the episodes from all four seasons on it.:)I don't know if I should be linking to someone else's website on another blog without their permission, so I won't name the web address. However, if you google Downton Abbey simplyjune (I'm not sure this is much better than naming the website, but anyway :), you might be able to find it, or I could email the name to you. I'm pretty sure the website's safe to go on (I mean I don't think it has any viruses). Oh, and a disclaimer - I didn't watch Season 3, but I heard the content wasn't entirely clean if you care about that.

And Calvin and Hobbes are great even though I haven't read them in a long time.;)So is that last pin.
~Lizzy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...