Search This Blog

Saturday, April 26, 2014

Little Letters {1st Edition}

 

I've seen this type of post done several times, and it's always looked fun to me, so I'm giving it a go (not to mention that I recently started exchanging real letters with a dear friend of mine, which may have something to do with me deciding to do this post).  It basically works like this - I write a bunch of letters 'to' things and/or people, giving my opinions about them through letter form.  The letters can be long or short (mine will probably be a bunch of little letters, although I've seen posts that just have one), and it's a unique/fun way to get your thoughts across to your readers.  So, anyway, here are my letters...
 
 
Dear Divergent,
 
I have mixed feelings about you.  I read the first book a couple of days ago, and it's still stuck with me, which is a good thing.  If a book sticks with me, it means that is made me think.  And you definitely made me think.  You're really one of the first young adult dystopian book I've ever read, and for that, you'll always be special.  The story world and characters found within your pages intrigued me, even if I don't agree with the whole factions thing (mainly because I don't believe people would do that).  You made my heart pound.  You made me smile.  You made me sad.  And I want to read the other two books in your series.  But.  I didn't like Tris and Tobias' relationship as much as everyone else does.  See, I don't normally read YA, so I'm not used to the sort of romance that's common in the genre.  And while I'm sure you were much cleaner than a lot of YA books, but it still made me uncomfortable.  It's why I gave you three out of five stars on Goodreads.  I'm still looking forward to the movie, though.  And the soundtrack for that movie is one of the best I've ever heard.  Just...I didn't like you as much as I thought I would.
 
 
Dear Writer's Brain,
 
I love you.  I love seeing the words come alive on the page.  And, yes, they are coming alive.  All my characters and plot lines and ideas are coming to life because of you.  Just...please don't find it necessary to scribble down every plot bunny I get.  I mean, I love them, but it's gets tiring trying to keep up with them.  I'm glad that you and me are friends again, though.  For the longest time, I didn't listen to you, and I ended up writing some pretty bad quality stuff.  But with a new project came fresh perspective, and now things are going well.  It's one of the best feelings in the world.
 
 
Dear Captain America: The Winter Soldier,
 
WHY?  Why must you crush all my feelings before I've even seen the movie???  I know there's going to be a lot of humour in the film, but I also know there's going to be a lot of heartache (that mostly goes under the name of STEVEBUCKYPEGGYBRAINWASHINGTHEENDOFTHELINE).  But, seriously, couldn't people stop making fan-videos of you out of footage they got who-knows-where?  Or posting spoilers on Pinterest (because once you see them, you can't unsee them)?  Or make up all sorts of fan-theories and 'friendly reminders' that make everything worse?  Because, honestly, it's going to be tough.  REALLY tough.  Especially since I won't be able to watch it for months and months, so the feels can keep accumulating.  *sigh*
 
 
Dear Books,
 
Why are there so many of you out there that are fabulous?  Seriously?  I haven't been reading a lot lately, and the stack of you on my desk keeps building up.  Maybe it's punishment for not reading.  I don't know.  But I do know that it's becoming an issue.  I'm reading two of your number right now - The Allies and The Book Thief.  To paraphrase a quote from The Fault In Our Stars (which I haven't read, but know something about) - "I read books the way I fall asleep.  Slowly, then all at once."  It's totally true.  I'll read a couple of you slowly, then find a new one and read that in two hours.  There have only been a few of you that I haven't loved.  I love the HD movie that plays in my head whenever I read one of you.  I love the way you smell...there are different smells, but they all come down to ink and paper, and, more often than not, dust.  It's exhilarating.  Reading is one of the best things that ever happened to me.
 
 
Dear Pinterest,
 
YOU ARE AWESOME THE END.
 
Eva

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Dear Eva,
Loved this. You have such a great talent for putting things just so. You continually amaze me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...