Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Answers To Your Questions




I received a bigger response to my 'ask me anything' post than I was expecting.  All in all, I was asked about thirty questions.  I'll be answering them all in this post, so it should take me a while to get it out to all of you. 


Now onto the questions!


Miss Jane Bennet asked...


~Are there any classic book characters that have scared the living daylights out of you?  Hmmm.  It's restricted to classic book characters, which makes it harder, but... *thinks hard*  Well, there's Bertha Mason from Jane Eyre.  She's incredibly freaky and since I read JE when I was Quite Young, she definitely made an impression on me.  I'm not the type to be scared by books, though (or movies, for that matter).  And there's also Jack Merridew from Lord Of The Flies.  He's just a boy, but the way he transforms through the course of the book is shudder-inspiring.

~Favorite hairstyle? *goes on Pinterest to look up hairstyles*  Aw, there's so many gorgeous ones.  However, I'd have to go with this one.  I love wearing my hair down, and this looks simple, elegant, and lovely all at the same time.  And if you mean one that I wear around the house, a messy DIY bun is something I like wearing when I feel in the mood.  It would take too long to describe the style I most usually 'wear'.

~Favorite fandom?  Now, you have to understand something about my fandoms.  I have several 'base' fandoms - ones that I'm always obsessed with (i.e. Jane Austen, Les Miserables, BBC Robin Hood...), but different fandoms 'make the rounds', so to speak, which means that at different times, I have a certain fandom that I obsess about more than any of the others.  This changes on a semi-regular basis, and the main one at the moment is Marvel.  Specifically The Avengers.  Specifically Captain America & Co.  Specifically The Winter Soldier.  I think the Marvel Cinematic Universe is one of the coolest things ever invented and you can read more about my thoughts on the subject of Marvel here.

~Least favorite Austen heroine?  Do I really have to pick a least favorite?  I feel like a traitor.  Here goes...AnneElliotbutonlybecauseIhaven'treadPersuasioninawhile.  There.  I said it.  I don't feel all that fond of Catherine Morland either.  She probably ties with Anne for least favorite heroine, but, really I love them all.  I'm just glad Jane didn't ask me about the heroes.  That would've been hard.  Although....Captain Wentworth would be at the bottom, because he really behaved like a jerk for over half of Persuasion.  Thoughts?

~Little-known book series you'd recommend?  Hehe...I happen to know that this question was purposefully picked out, because she knows what I'll say.  Which kinda makes me not want to say it, but I don't want to pass up this opportunity.  The little-known series I'd recommend is the American Family Portrait series.  I've reviewed book four in the series - The Adversaries - and I highly recommend each and every one of the nine books.

~Favorite type of shoe?  Sandals, although I rarely get to wear them.

~Thoughts on hats?  I've almost never worn hats, except some baseball caps (I had some nice ones with horses on them when I was younger), but I love how hats look on People (mostly old-fashioned hats).  I think that Duchess Kate has some of the best hats I've ever seen.  You can check out a photo gallery of some of them here.  I love looking at them.


Kiri Liz asked...


~What was your favorite movie when you were little?  Disney's animated Robin Hood, or Winnie The Pooh.  I loved watching both of those over and over again, and some of that love has seeped into my teen years.  I mean, Robin Hood is one of Disney's best animated feature films, in my opinion, and I'll always love Winnie The Pooh (books/movies).  Call me childish, but it's what I like and I'm not budging on my opinion.

~If you could pick one fictional character (film, TV series, or book) to be your sibling, who would you pick and why?  This is what I call a fun question.  It has to be someone who's fun, gets along well with others (since I have seven siblings), and isn't someone I have a bookish crush on.  Which could get difficult.  Soooo....Elizabeth Bennet.  Because, as my mom says, life would never be boring.  Although I don't know how I'd handle not being the oldest anymore...

~Have you ever eaten escargot?  Much as I'm a fan of trying out exotic foods (sushi is awesome!), I haven't had that pleasure yet.  I'll probably wait till my trip to France (whenever that happens), to try it out.  I think snails would actually taste pretty good.

~Your least favorite ship from one of your top fandoms? And why that ship?  Enjolras/Grantaire.  Just...ick.

~Favorite musical of all time? Or two? Or three? :D  LES MISERABLES.  Followed by Cinderella and A Tale Of Two Cities.  And Jane Eyre thrown into the mix - I don't like leaving one of my favorites out in the dark, since they're so little known around the musical theatre world, anyway.

~Who is a better hero in your opinion - Flynn/Eugene or Kristoff?  Flynn/Eugene.  And if you want my reasons, go read this post, paragraph three.

~Last film you watched?  Well, I don't know if it would count as a film, but the last thing I watched was an episode of Sue Thomas F.B.Eye.  Great show, highly recommended.  The last feature length film I watched, however, was The Scarlet Pimpernel (1982).  It was amazing, as usual.  I want to write a review soon, but I'm not sure where to begin.  Suffice to say, it's moved into my top ten list of period dramas, if not my top five. *siiiiigh*

~Favorite Disney princess song?  There are only a few Disney princess songs I've actually heard in their entirety - 'When Will My Life Begin?' (Rapunzel), 'For The First Time In Forever' (Anna), 'Part Of Your World' (Ariel), and 'Touch The Sky' (Merida).  It's a tough decision, because I really like them all (with the possible exception of 'Part Of Your World'), but I'm going to go with 'Touch The Sky'.  It's a gorgeous, rich song (especially if you actually watch it, not just listen to it) and one of my favorite Disney songs in general.

~If you were given the chance to go wherever you wanted for a whole day and do whatever you wanted, where would you go and what would you do?  There are so many things I want to do and places I want to go.  But.  Since I have to limit myself, I'd go and see m'dear Pascal for the day.  I'm not sure what we'd do, but it would be fun.  That plan may sound boring to a lot of people, but, honestly, it's what I'd most like to do.  And I'm sure she'd agree.

~Can you describe yourself in three words?  I had this!  I had this at one time.  And now it seems to have slipped my memory.  Buuut...bookish, introverted, thoughtful.  To those who know me: do you think it's an accurate summation?


Elizabeth Grace Foley asked...


~Is Eva your real name or a pen name?  It's my real name, but it's also my pen name.  See, my full first name is Eva-Joy, but I commonly go by Eva among the blogosphere.  It's shorter, easier to remember, and I like how it looks.  I think either version is pretty, though.

~Do you have a single favorite author? (The easier version of "Who's your favorite author"?)  Favorite classic author: Jane Austen.  Favorite modern author: Jack Cavanaugh.  And there's a slew of other authors that I love almost as much as those two.  Charles Dickens, Charlotte Bronte, Victor Hugo, Shannon Hale, Caroline Lawrence...the list could go on and on and then some.

~Do you like classical music?  I love it.  So beautiful.

~How many different genres have you written in or tried to write in?  Historical, historical romance, fantasy, science fiction(ish), modern thriller, dystopian, dystopian romance, young adult romance, speculative fiction, literary fiction, Regency romance, time travel/alternate reality...some of those stories will never see the light of day (I've destroyed some of them - wrote them back when I was wee girl), but some of the others I'm quite proud of.  If I get a story idea for it, I'll try any genre.


Katie asked...


~If you had the chance to save either Enjolras or Sydney Carton who would it be and why?  Sydney Carton.  He deserved a happy life (well, just life in general) and he didn't particularly want to die.  It was something that had to be done, and he was content with it because it would ensure Lucie's happiness with Charles, and he did gain redemption in everyone's eyes by sacrificing himself, but I honestly believe that if he'd been given a chance to live at no cost to anyone, he would've taken it.  Enjolras, however, is totally different.  I can't...I just can't imagine what he'd do if the revolution had succeeded.  What would have to live for anymore?  I can easily think of what all the other students would have done, but not Enjolras.  It's really hard to explain.


Manda Rose asked...


~Scariest movie you've seen?  I don't really watch scary movies, so I'm at a loss here.  And I'm pretty much never scared by books or movies.  There was one Sue Thomas F.B.Eye episode that involved a serial killer that was pretty intense, but I was never scared.  So, I really don't know.

~Favourite movie and tv series?  Don't ask me to pick a favorite movie!  It's so hard.  I'll give some of my favorites, because I honestly can't narrow it down to one.  Les Miserables (2012), Captain America: The First Avenger (2011), Little Dorrit (2008), War Horse (2011), Stalag 17 (no idea when it came out), It's A Wonderful Life (ditto), and Frangled (2010/2013).  I'd say BBC Robin Hood for TV series.  I love it.

~Favourite food?  PIZZA.

~First book to make you cry?  Well...there have been so many books over the years that have made me cry, so it's hard to remember the first one.  But it was either Glimpses of Truth by Jack Cavanaugh or El Dorado by Baroness Orczy.  Both of them involved staying up very late at night, lots of crying, and a headache the next morning.  I think GoT came first.

~First film to make you cry?  Sense & Sensibility (1995).  The ending was so perfect and happy and beautiful that I couldn't help crying.  I was really young then, so I thought that crying during movies was a terrible thing to do, but I couldn't help myself (little did I know...).  It was pretty bad (good?).

~How many books in total have you read?  I really have no idea.  Somewhere in the hundreds, if not thousands.  I read a lot.

~Have you read "The Giver" series? (if you haven't, you need to now!)  No, I haven't.  I've heard a lot about the first book, though, so if my library has it, I'll probably check it out.

~Would you rather cut all your hair off or never cut it again?  Cut all of it off.  Because hair will grow back over time.


There you have it!  My answers to all your lovely questions.


Eva





















5 comments:

Lydia said...

One, I loved seeing all these awesome questions and answers and two...escargot is amazing! I had an AWESOME biology teacher and when studying snails and stuff like that he brought french bread and butter to the class to go along with the escargot he brought. I LOVED it! it was amazing. you should really eat it! I had like 4...my other classmates didn't really enjoy them like I did

Elisabeth Grace Foley said...

Do you mean the original Winnie-the-Pooh shorts (The Blustery Day, The Honey Tree and so on)? I watched those so many times when I was little, I can still recite most of them!

I'm not one who often cries at movies, but the ending of Sense & Sensibility gives me a lump in my throat every single time. Right at Mrs. Dashwood and Marianne's reaction when Margaret says, "He's kneeling down!"

Eva said...

Yes, I meant the shorts! So funny and homey :)

Kiri Liz said...

Okay, I had so much fun reading this, but I literally lost it when I saw that "Frangled" (2010/2013) was one of your favorite movies. That soooo should be a thing! :D

Is it coincidence that one of my "prove-you're-not-a-robot" words is "musical"????? *LesMisTaleofTwoCitiesCinderellaFrozenandsomanyothers* No, no, I think not.

Amy Wegner said...

Ok, it is funny that you mentioned the Sue Thomas serial killer. I haven't watched all the Sue Thomas episodes, only a few over a friend's house, but that was one of the ones we watched. Scared the living daylights out of me! It was the first serial killer thing I had ever watched, and to hear how they explained his thinking... freakiest thing I ever heard! And it just happened to be that the people he went after were tall, blonde women... I'm tall and blonde... freaked me out even more! I would probably watch it now and be wonder how it ever scared me, but like I said, that was the first time I had ever seen anything like that. :D I think the thing that made it most intense was the fact that she couldn't hear.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...