Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

History, Fiction, And All That Jazz

You know you're a history fan when...

History is awesome. *cue music from The Lego Movie*  No, but seriously.  I mean it.  It's my favorite subject in (home)school and when I was allowed to chose whatever part of history I wanted to study in this coming school year, I was thrilled (I chose WWI and WWII).  As is usual for a history fan, I have my favorite time periods and decades, and although I could write a slew of posts dedicated to all my favorite historical eras, I'm going to give you a few (or more) book recommendations for each category.  I considered adding 'futuristic' to my list, since I've read so many dystopian (and a few sci-fi) books recently, but that would be cheating, so I refrained.  And now let me go into the time periods I did choose...

{ancient}

Glad we have the history of Egypt.  Go to www.YourTravelVideos.com or just click on photo for home videos and much more on sites like this.

I Recommend...


{medieval}

Medieval Magic Tricks

I Recommend...


{american revolution}

Don Troiani Historical Artist "The Redoubt" During the closing moments of the battle of Bunker/Breed's Hill the British Marines and 47th Foot storm over the side of the Patriot redoubt and Dr. Joseph Warren (light blue silk waistcoat and white breeches) is about to meet his fate.

I Recommend...


{french revolution}

July 14, 1789 – French Revolution: citizens of Paris storm the Bastille (Painting).

I Recommend...


{regency/victorian}

Regency era wedding--I love the way the groom is gazing possessively at his bride. :)

I Recommend...

 Emma
 Sherlock Holmes (series)

{ww1/ww2}

World War 2 Poster.  Americans: Always fighting for liberty! I found this poster almost a decade ago in an antique shop in DC and purchased for my older brother who is an Army officer.

I Recommend...


Have you read any of these books?  Do you have any other book recommendations for these different time periods?  What are some of your favorite eras of history?

Eva

5 comments:

Miss Jane Bennet said...

Bahahahaha,okay, I must admit I was waiting for something about the Victorian Era...:P
But in any case, great post! I now have several new books on my reading list. :)

Elisabeth Grace Foley said...

Oh, yes. History was my favorite subject from my earliest (home)school days, and I remember one year where I studied the Civil War that my interest in history just exploded. My favorite eras are the American West (I guess you could call that the Victorian/Edwardian period, out west), the Civil War, the Edwardian era, Great Depression and WWII.

And of course, I love talking about books and giving book recommendations. I don't want to swamp you, so I'll just mention a couple from the eras you picked. :)

American Revolution: The List by C.D. Baker. Also, I'm going to put Swift Rivers and Clearing Weather by Cornelia Meigs here even though they're a little later; they're too good to miss. Clearing Weather is a post-Revolution nautical adventure, and Swift Rivers is about logging on the Mississippi in the early 1800s. I love Meigs' books; I wish most of them weren't out of print!

French Revolution: The Glassblowers by Daphne du Maurier and Until That Distant Day by Jill Stengl. Both deal in some strong subject matter (some of it a given considering the era), but in a tasteful way. I really enjoyed both.

Regency/Victorian: A Fair Barbarian by Frances Hodgson Burnett. This one reminds me a little of Cranford—a spinster lady's spirited niece, whose father made his fortune in the American mining fields, descends for an unexpected visit and turns the quiet English village upside-down.

WWII: The best WWII fiction I've read so far is Green For Danger by Christianna Brand and Pastoral by Nevil Shute. Both have a bit of language, and also deal in some strong themes (Green For Danger is a murder mystery), but they're excellently written and really capture different aspects of life in England during WWII. If you liked the Guernsey L. and P.P.P.S. you could probably tackle these.

Eva said...

Thanks for you detailed recommendations - I always love discovering new books, especially about topics/time periods I love, so I'm going to look these up on Goodreads right now :)

Anonymous said...

For the French Revolution period, I recommend The Lacemaker and the Princess. I read this twice, and it was a wonderful, yet sad read.

Miss Elliot said...

Hello Eva!
I've nominated you for the Liebster Award-
http://puritanobserver.wordpress.com/2014/08/05/liebster-award/
Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...