Search This Blog

Friday, August 15, 2014

Ehehehehehehe *Tom Hiddleston Laugh*

Hello, everyone!  As you may or may not have guessed already, this is not your usual lovely proprietor.  Instead, you get a special uninvited guest today in the form of her best friend, Miss Jane Bennet (that's me, by the way.  Hello.).

No, this is not her birthday.  It IS a very special day, however.  One year ago today, I signed in to my email and discovered one from her entitled "hey!" and urging me to introduce myself--the very beginning of our correspondence.


Isn't it amazing how God brings the right people into your life at the right time? People who support, love and pray for you, regardless of your your circumstances.
Before I get into that, though, let me tell you a little story.  Some months before that, I had suddenly realized that I was lonely.  I had my amazing family, but I wanted a friend--a real friend, one I could have inside jokes with and show all the sides of me to.  Someone who loved me, despite not being related to me or having known me forever.

In hindsight, this was probably silly and selfish--just because I didn't have a close friend at that particular time didn't mean that I'd never had one, or that nobody had ever been friends with me before.  But for whatever reason, I began to wonder if there was something wrong with me--if I was just bad friend material or just unnoticeable.  I prayed over and over about it, asking for a friend or, in absence of that, the ability to find peace about it.
Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same. --Flavia Weedn<--@Eva Schon I wonder if this partly inspired "For Good"...?


Then, I began to comment on Eva's blog, first to thank her for introducing me to Les Mis through her Barricade Boys Week, and then to share my thoughts on her posts.  I loved her blog (still do)--it was engaging and sweet and some of them said exactly what I thought but couldn't put into words.

Awhile after that, I shared a post I'd written on the subject of Les Mis, and she commented that she loved it and offered to help me with my blog design.  I eagerly accepted--and asked if perhaps we could correspond.  She, to my utter surprise, said yes.


"Here is the promised email that starts us on our grand adventure of getting to know each other :)  For starters, tell me everything about yourself - all of your major likes/dislikes, favorite books,
movies, tv shows; favorite colors; favorite food; do you do any writing?; do you have a Pinterest account (I'd love to follow you)?" --Our Crazy Correspondence {OCC}
@Eva Schon We know better...there IS something better than a friend with chocolate. ;)



I immediately started writing back, telling all about myself, asking questions, and making Bad Jokes.  At the back of my mind, I was wondering whether this was really such a good idea.  Would I annoy her?  Would we end up hating each other?  Was it really wise to start an internet friendship at all?

Then I got her reply to my email, and suddenly I was sure this would work.


"MY FAVORITE FLAVOUR OF ICE CREAM,
EVER, IS CHOCOLATE MINT.  That's just...crazy or something, how alike we are.  I've discovered that all of my kindred spirits (I think I can count you as one now) are alike me in a scary amount of ways, although we're also different.  Does that make sense?" --OCC


We are. :D
 (That chocolate mint thing, by the way?  We still joke about it.)

Our emails continued to fly back and forth.  Every time I got one of her emails, I would feel a little bit happier; her emails were so much fun to read and reply to.  She was so much like me, and still managed to provoke thought and broaden my mind.




 "It's been amazing, really, getting to know you.  Every so often, someone just perfectly 'clicks' with me, and you've been one of those people." --OCC


 We started a new thread, which was originally just for sharing Cool Internet Things but eventually evolved into sharing things-that-couldn't-wait-another-minute-to-be-told, and then turned into our main thread.

Somewhere along the line, though, something shifted.  I'm still not sure quite what it was, and I doubt I'll ever be able to put it into words.  But all of a sudden we were exchanging two emails a day and we'd written two hundred emails in our main thread (to say nothing of our other, original thread and the sundry small emails we'd sent occasionally).  We did a Skype call, followed shortly by another and another.  We began to text-chat, both on Skype and Gmail.  We pinned pictures at each other.  Recently, we began to send letters as well.

Once in awhile, she'd tell me how glad she was that we were friends, and while my outward reaction was, "Aww, thanks!", inwardly I was thanking God with all my heart for putting such an amazingly special person in my life and allowing me to be her Bestie Dearest.



  "Because now we are Ze Pascals and show each other our Craziness and I tell you weird theories that you doubtless shake your head at. :D  AND IT'S SO MUCH FUN.  I just love having that...it's something Very Special and I treasure it highly. :)" --OCC
;)

Seriously, she's made this past year one of the best of my life so far.  She taught me how to fangirl and that it's totally okay to type complete nonsense in all-caps and use bad punctuation and make truly awful puns if you're with your best friend.  She introduced me to Jack Cavanaugh and BBC Robin Hood and Les Mis and the Tale of Two Cities musical and some other things that I won't list because it would take too long.  We discovered a mutual love for The Scarlet Pimpernel, anything by Marguerite Henry, Winnie-the-Pooh, Calvin and Hobbes, and Vivaldi.  Together, we became Mad Hatters and Frangled fans.  We're sisters twice over; sisters in Christ and sisters of the heart.

I don't know what's going to happen in the future.  Maybe in a few years we'll have drifted apart or split on a fundamental issue.  Then again, maybe in twenty years we'll both be married and be honorary aunts to each other's children.  Who knows?  But she's helped me to grow and mature so much, and made so many days brighter, that I think I'll always be thankful for her friendship no matter what happens.
:D



And so, thank you so much, Eva.  Thanks for being my Frozen sister; the Lizzy to my Jane; the Hobbes to my Calvin; the Holmes to my Watson.  Thanks for having put up with my bad moods and my fangirling about things you're not interested in, and for helping me through my Jolyishness.  Thank you for the hours of companionship we've shared--and do please forgive me for hacking your blog unmercifully.  It was done with good intentions. :D
Best Friends


"But the nicest present she received was not the usual kind of present.  It  was the present of a friend."

--Maud Hart Lovelace, Betsy-Tacy

3 comments:

Eva said...

THANK YOU SO MUCH BESTIE DEAREST.

*MAJOR HUGS ALL AROUND*

*goes off singing 'For Good' for the rest of the day*

I love you and our friendship. That is all.

~Eva

Melody said...

D'awwww again.

"That's just...crazy or something, how alike we are. I've discovered that all of my kindred spirits (I think I can count you as one now) are alike me in a scary amount of ways, although we're also different. Does that make sense?"

Okay, that sounded REALLY familiar. Hahahahaha. If friendships have spirits, then the Eva/Miss Jane and the Amy/Melody are kindred spirits. Heehee. :)

Incidentally, one of my favorite ice cream flavors is mint chocolate chip... although I can never decide if it's my #1 favorite or not. ;)

Anyways. More hugsies. And I wish you happy year-to-come. :D

bethy said...

This is gorgeous!!!
So sweet.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...