Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 03, 2014

"That's the funny thing about birthdays - they're kind of an annual thing."

random nice picture because it's pretty and I couldn't find a good, birthday-related thingy.
"It's my BIRTHDAY!" *squeeze-hugs everyone*

Yes, yes, I'm quoting Rapunzel.  Tangled is the only thing I could think of off the top of my head that's fandom and birthday-related all at once, so I'm going with it for right now. (I mean, come on.  The entire movie is pretty much centered around her birthday and her birthday wish and the fact that she's turning eighteen)  If you can think of any other book/movie/TV show instances where a character celebrates a birthday, please comment and let me know.  I can always use new material.

Now, last year, I wrote a birthday post, listed some stuff I'd done that year, and jotted down a bucket list of things I wanted to accomplish in the months to come.  If I recall correctly, I wrote that bucket list down on the spur of the moment, not really thinking much about it.  So, when I was gathering together a list of things I'd done/read/watched/experienced this past year, I was surprised to find that quite I'd actually accomplished a few things on the previous year's bucket list.  Not a lot, but probably more than if I'd printed it out and made the whole thing official.  Anyway, I thought I'd share the list with you - it's rather long, so I'll try to keep explanations down to a sentence or two.

Okay?  Okay.

{books, movies, and more}

=)

~saw Les Miserables live - this. was. amazing.  My very first live musical, which just happened to be my favorite musical, and it was fantastic.  Every moment of it was awesome (with the exception of 'Lovely Ladies' and 'Master Of The House') even if I cried a ton.

~discovered Rat Patrol - Yes, this totally deserves a mention.  Not only did I make a new friend through this TV show, it's just generally awesome.  Great guy friendships, lots of subtext, ample room for headcanons and alternate universes, etc.  Plus, the fandom is the best.

~watched Lizzie Bennet Diaries and Emma Approved - EA came first, and then during one of its long, horrible haituses, I decided to check out LBD.  I'd watched the first episode awhile ago, but it hadn't really captured my interest.  As it happened, second time's the charm and I peeled through all 100 episodes in two or three days.  I loved it, and EA is even better.  Highly recommended for any Janeite.

~read The Hunger Games trilogy - I've read and loved several books this year that I never thought I'd be able to read, and THG tops the list.  I read the entire series in three days straight, quickly became obsessed, and I haven't looked back since.  Really excited for Mockingjay Parts 1 & 2!

~became obsessed with five new musicals - Cinderella, Newsies, Suessical, Daddy Long Legs, and Jane Eyre.  My bucket list thingy was to find just one new musical, and I found five.  All of them are amazing and I love listening to their songs over and over again.  Admittedly, Suessical is a little weird and wacky, but it's still great - just maybe not everyone's cup of tea.

~cried over Unbroken - I'm forever thankful to Eowyn for recommending this book to me.  At the moment, I'm doing a re-read in prep for a book review, and it's even better the second time around.  I'm not really a non-fiction person, but this book...it's gorgeous and heartwrenching and amazing.  My favorite book of 2014, thus far.

{writing}


~won NaNoWriMo - Decided to participate in this challenge one day before it started, scrambled together a battle plan (I still have said plan in one of my notebooks), and won the thing.  Totally awesome feeling.

~wrote a trilogy - I wrote the first book of the Vengeance Is Mine trilogy during NaNo and quickly followed up with the next two.  I'm not exactly sure how many words it is put together, but it's definitely several tens of thousands.  The whole thing needs a massive overhaul, but at least I've got the first drafts down.

~started a writing blog - Which you can check out here.

~won a short story contest - This particular achievement was immensely satisfying.  I usually write terrible short stories, but I got a bit of inspiration for a library contest, tried my hand at it, and won first prize.  Oh, and what exactly I won was a ten dollar gift certificate to a bookstore, a notebook, and some cool mechanical pencils.

~wrote a book-length fanfiction - Around 50,000 words, actually.  Hunger Games/Rat Patrol crossover.  Really weird, right?

{real life}

Little Reasons to Smile

~left notes in library books - This has been on my bucket list for forever, mainly because it's a really fun idea, as well as being easy.  But it was only a couple of days ago that I actually started doing it.  The first book I left a note in was The Hunger Games, and I've done Emma as well.  Every time I go to the library, I leave a note in a different book, saying why it's one of my favorites and sharing a little bit about what other genres I like.

~was a bridesmaid - As was my sister.  It was an amazing experience except for...

~fainted - In the wedding.  Right during the exchange of vows.  An interesting turn of events, but not one I want to repeat.

~wrote letters to online friends - SO. AWESOME.

~participated in the Walk With Israel - This has become something of an annual tradition in my family (although this year was only the second time we went) and it's fun, if grueling.  7 kilometers of varied terrain.  Of course, we brought snacks and water and there were rest stops, but by the end of the day, we were all exhausted.  I still can't wait to do it again next year, though.

~pulled two all-nighters - One right after the other.  It was insane.  My brothers and I ate junk food and watched a bunch of movies and just generally did awesome stuff.  I now have so much more sympathy for people (fictional characters or people in real life) who are deprived of sleep for one reason or another.

So, yeah, that's basically my crazy-awesome, intense, packed year.  I feel like I've really grown, emotionally, physically, and mentally, and I can't wait to see what this coming year holds for me.  Some of it will be good, some of it will be bad, but I feel prepared. (at least today)  Here's to another year of writing, blogging, singing, dreaming, reading, and just LIVING.

Carpe Diem and DFTBA!

Eva

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Happy Birthday! You forgot to mention that you became a Trim Healthy Teenager and learned a lot about how to be healthy and maintain a good weight.

inklingspress said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!! Hmm, I've gotta do one of these when my birthday rolls around. : D You're totally welcome - about the Unbroken recommendation, that is. Glad you liked it as much as I did!!!!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to attempt my own all-nighter, because you inspired me to. : D

-Eowyn-

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...