Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 03, 2014

I'm Baaaaack!

MY NEW FAVORITE THING.
My new favorite thing.  TOTALLY.
Well.  I really don't know how to begin this post.  There are tons of things I want to write about, but where to start?  I guess I could share the fact that I won NaNoWriMo.  Again. (second time in a row!)  I've also written two blog posts in the past month (here and here), wrote some fan-fiction along with my NaNo novel, watched some new movies, read some new books, and just generally have had an amazing month.  Oh, and I also changed the blog design because I was bored, but it's not doing anything for me, so I'm going to change it again.  Probably something Frozen-ish, because it's that time of year.


I've read a lot of books during this past month.  The entire Great Awakenings series, While We're Far Apart, the Legend trilogy, To Kill A Mockingbird, The Giver, the YA adaption of Unbroken, Insurgent, and Allegiant.  DON'T EVER READ ALLEGIANT.  And I'm not saying that as a weepy, distraught fangirl who adores the series and is completely heartbroken over Tris' death but still thinks it was the right thing for her to do.  No.  Just...no.  I didn't cry, I found Tris' death incredibly selfish, and the entire book was one long, angsty bore-fest.  And then I hear that they're splitting it into two movies.  What-?  Why-?  Why would you do that?


On the up side, most of the other books I read last month were great.  To Kill A Mockingbird (ahhhh, I keep typing 'mockingjay') especially.  As soon as I read the book, I watched movie, and I now love both the book and the movie.  And Atticus.  And Gregory Peck.  I also read The Giver in preparation for the movie (which was great) and I think this last read-through really cemented my liking and admiration for TG.  It took about four re-reads for me to really get it, but I'm glad that I finally have now.  Anyway, the movie was good.  Not one of my top favorites, but it was a much better adaption of the book than the trailers showed.  And TG hasn't been rooted in my life since childhood, so I probably don't feel as strongly about the changes as most other fans.

Exclusive: All New ‘The Giver’ Challenge Starts Now! Find out the next phase!

I've also watched a slew of animated films recently.  Kung Fu Panda, Kung Fu Panda 2, Madagascar 2, Madagascar 3, How To Train Your Dragon, Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 2...a bunch of movies like that.  The only one I really liked and thought rose above the typical animated movie cliches was HTTYD (hence the blog design).  Oh, and Cloudy 2 was pretty good as well.  Not as much as the first movie, but when are sequels ever better?  I miiiiight review both Cloudy movies some time, along with HTTYD and Kung Fu Panda - maybe another one of those 'favorite animated movies' posts. (KFP was okay.  I enjoyed certain elements of it, but it's not an overall favorite.)

<3

Oh, and I watched Saints & Soldiers last night. (second time)  ACK.  I love it and hate it at the same time.  My next post will probably be a review, so there'll be more details there about why I have such a big love/hate relationship and what it's all about.  But let me just say that for an indie film with a budget of less than a million, the creators of S&S did an outstanding job.  Absolutely outstanding.  Annnnnd speaking of WWII movies, I've also been watching Combat! a lot.  I'm not sure if I've mentioned the show on this blog before or not, but you'll probably be hearing about it semi-frequently, as it's my current fandom.  I wrote some fan-fiction surrounding it for NaNo, and for me, that's a big sign of how obsessed I am.  If I write fan-fiction for a show or a book or a movie, I'm pretty 'into' it.


And that's about it for now.  Just a little update post that I hope to follow-up quite soon with a regular blogging schedule.

TTFN!

Eva

5 comments:

Hayden said...

You've seen Saints & Soldiers??? A friend loaned it to us a while back, and I thought it was really good.

I read the first book in the Divergent series, but haven't gotten to the others....maybe because I know how Allegiant ends, so I'm not motivated or something. *shrugs*

Anyway, I'd really like to see The Giver. I read the book for the first time just a few years ago, so I didn't grow up with it, either. Still, it's a good book, though not a favorite, and I'm glad I've heard a lot of good things about the movie, because the first trailer looked horrible.

Eva said...

Yep, I've seen it! I watched it for the first time several months ago, and then watched it again last night just because I felt like it :) I find it fascinating that it was filmed in a month, on such a low budget...and yet it's still such high quality. Awesome.

My mom read the whole Divergent series before I did, and we both wish we hadn't wasted our time. The first book was pretty good, and the other two just went down in quality.

inklingspress said...

Great post, Eva!!!

HAYDEN - YOU MUST WATCH THE GIVER. IT. IS. AWESOME.

-Ashley-

Elisabeth Grace Foley said...

I've been watching Combat! too—I'd seen a couple episodes before, but you and Hamlette got me interested in watching more. My favorite episodes so far (I've seen just six) are "Glow Against the Sky" and "Billy the Kid."

Isn't To Kill A Mockingbird wonderful? It's one of the books I end up re-reading every once in a while. It's been years since I've seen the movie, but I remember liking it too—I believe it's one of the rare instances where a famous book's author actually liked the adaptation of her work. :)

Eva said...

That's great! I'm glad you're giving it another try :) I haven't seen Billy The Kid yet, but Glow Against The Sky is one of my absolute favorites too. Billy's such a sweetheart and I love his and Littlejohn's friendship.

Lois Lowry liked the movie adaption of The Giver, but I think it is pretty rare for authors to truly like their book adaptions.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...